Rim Replacement

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
My brothers XM719 rim has a crack going half way around the inner rim, so after a replacement rim to get built onto his EVO 2.

As the 719 has held up well for 6-7 years, was looking at a straight like for like with a new XM719. However the Stans Arch MK3 looks to be just as good and is a bit lighter.

So 719 or Arch MK3?

Any other trail rims to consider?

Comments

• Are you running 26" wheels?

I like Mavic and had some 419's built up a while ago. Work well for XC. I had 719's many years ago and they were great.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Stans but can't really offer an opinion.

My most recent wheel build was some very nice WTB KOM i23's onto Pro 4 hubs. Got them reduced from £79.99 to £19.99 per rim (Chain Reaction). 400g per rim and so far have been great.

All of the above are 26".
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Yeah, 26".
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you trust the spokes then getting a rim with the same (genuine, not quoted) ERD will make swapping fairly quick and easy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have a look also at Superstar Components - they still have some 26" stock to get rid of. My 419 build came from them on Fuel hubs.

If you fancy some nice carbon rims they have them on offer:

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon.htm
    "Ride, crash, replace"