Best tire that doesn't puncture?

Tim F
Tim F Posts: 67
edited March 2019 in Road general
Bit fed up of my Vittoria Corsa's. They're obviously great and fast but I get a lot of flats. Looking for really good performance and no flats!?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Assuming you want to stay on pneumatic tyres, there's no such thing unfortunately. Corsas are race tyres though, there are plenty of other tyres which offer better levels of protection, but the trade off will higher rolling resistance and weight.
  • Got gatorskins on all my bikes and not had 1 puncture yet but have been slid off a few times on wet tarmac. Just had my first set I continental 4 season put n my thing bike so will see how they stand up.
  • The only tyres that don't puncture are solid Tannus ones, apparently the ride on them is horrible.

Tubeless minimises punctures as most of them self seal but it doesn't work 100% of the time. I'm a fan of tubeless and have had several punctures seal up without noticing but it's undeniably more hassle to set up.

The main factor when it comes to punctures is luck and avoid riding over crap.
  • Tim F
    No flats was probably a little extreme. Less flats would be good! I don't want to run tubeless for now. Are these tires in any shape or form measurable to the Corsas? I'd rather not stick a dead feeling slow tire on.
  • imposter2.0
    Lots of tyres offer similar performance to Corsas. I used to run Corsas and I've never had any of the problems that you seem to have had, so it's difficult to know what to recommend, but Conti GP4K, Schwalbe One, Hutchinson Fusion 5 and lots of others will all do the same kind of job...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,645
    Continue gatorskins give a pretty poor ride.

If you aren't worried about an extra 100g you could try inner tubes with sealant. Should be as good as tubeless for small pricks. Fnarr.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Tannus are great for urban bikes, like a single speed which you ride 5km-15km to work and back. Ran one of those setups for 4 years in London, was great. No need to carry spares, or worry about being late for a meeting because of it. It is approx 10% slower and maybe 10% more uncomfortable, but on roads it's not really an issue.

For clincher tyres I've just ended up deciding I like riding on GP4000s so just ride them all year round. Probably get one puncture ever couple of thousand km which I can deal with.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    no one mentioned the schwalbe duranro double defence. Thats unusal.
    Schwalbe marathon plus 25mm is another tyre.

You may not be late for your meeting because of a puncture with these tyres but you maybe late because they are so slooow or at least they feel that way. In london traffic it may not actually matter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Marathon Plus 25c user here. 1300miles and going strong with no maintenance and absolutely no fear of puncture. I confidently cycle much closer to the gutter (debris galore), mount on curbs, shared cycle pavement (another debris and twig galore) and occasional single track on my commute.

I noticed the sluggishness initially, but my legs got stronger. I'm only down 1.0-1.5mph on my average speed, but somehow the total time to commute hasn't changed much.

Fit and forget pneumatic tyre, in my experience.

I'm going to try lifeline premium armour (Wiggle's own brand equivalent of Marathon +, I believe?) when the current tyres retire.
  • I've just stuck 32mm marathons onto my crosser. I've never been the quickest rider so I'm not going to notice much of a difference!

Plus, having just had my MTB back on (or, more appropriately, off) the road again, it's going to feel like a breeze in comparison!
  • Only had one fairy visit with 38mm Marathon Cross on the Voodoo since using them mostly on but sometimes off over the last ~2.66 years, which was such a freak visit that it would have punctured almost anything pneumatic, inch or so screw had literally screwed through the protection layer in-between two central "shield" sections.

It's a pity they are wire bead, making them ~560g, but they roll really well on tarmac and are very capable off-road too. Tread still looks in great condition for what must be well over 3000+ miles.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cgfw201 wrote:

For clincher tyres I've just ended up deciding I like riding on GP4000s so just ride them all year round. Probably get one puncture ever couple of thousand km which I can deal with.

THIS
  • As of yesterday, the entire Vittoria tyre range has been updated with Graphene 2.0 and in some versions a layering called 4C. I'd expect them to be hitting the shops very soon as a lot of online stores are running down their current stock.

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/tires/road- ... -race.html
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Marathon plus on the child towing bike, durano plus on the winter bike for me.

Seems to be the right compromise level for each situation.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used Marathon pluses on the winter bike for the last 10 years or so and they've been great. Definitely a harder ride than my summer tyres ,- gp4000s but they're bombproof. Dunno why o bother with taking a tube and kit but that probably just wards them off.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    cgfw201 wrote:

THIS

Also this. I've had the current set on for coming up to a year now. Somewhere around 7000 km on London roads. I've had maybe 4 punctures. The rear is on it's last knockings - the wear indicators are only just visible, and it's nearly more cut than tyre, so I'd better buy another.

I realise that the statement above condemns me to a catastrophic puncture on the way home tonight.
  • Vittoria Corsa Control - mine have done around 6000 miles and I've only had one puncture in that time due to a piece of metal in the sidewall that I doubt any tyre would have stopped. They have several slices in the tread but otherwise held up really well. The feel of them is far better than Conti 4 Seasons, Pirelli etc as they still have the same construction as a regular Corsa, just with a bit more protection under the tread. They may feel a touch slower and less responsive than the regular Corsa but you would be hard pushed to tell the difference unless riding back to back. These will be my go to tyre for Winter going forwards
  • Gatorskins are very durable IME - many miles on them in the last 7 years, and if memory serves about 5-7 punctures. Ride quality isn't amazing, but you can't have everything. Given how rigid they are, I don't think I would go smaller than 25mm with these (to date I've only used 28+). Michelin Lithion 2s have also been good to me, and they are cheap. I have a set of Michelin Pro4 Endurance on one bike currently and they have held up well so far, and I use Marathons on my Brompton.
  • Tim F
    Thanks all, I have a rougher section along the river (with tarmac down) where they sometimes cut bushes and trees, which is the main cause of my punctures. I also get cuts in the tire at around 1cm wide so I know the Corsa G's aren't up to it.

Vittoria Corsa Control sounds interesting, is this a lot tougher? GP4000's sound interesting too and seem to have a cult following. I think my ride is tough on tires! I'm put off by dull feeling tires even if the overall speed they do isn't much different. I don't do that many miles commuting by the way, so wear rate isn't an issue.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have GP4000's on my good bike for the last 1-2 years and only had one puncture (approx. 1800kms). Currently using Michelin Lithion 2's on my winter bike and had no punctures in 2700kms. Prior to that I had the original Lithions and no punctures in 4000kms and prior to that I used Michelin Krylions (predecessor to the Lition) and only one puncture in approx. 4500kms.

The Lithions are very reasonably priced, you can usually get them in a deal for around £30 sometimes even with tubes included.
  • Tim F wrote:
    Vittoria Corsa Control sounds interesting, is this a lot tougher? GP4000's sound interesting too and seem to have a cult following. I think my ride is tough on tires! I'm put off by dull feeling tires even if the overall speed they do isn't much different. I don't do that many miles commuting by the way, so wear rate isn't an issue.

Yes the Control is a lot tougher than the regular Corsa but doesn’t give up much in road feel, it’s the new version of the Pavé that the pros used to use for the cobbles. I’ve never seen the attraction with GP4000’s, grip and puncture protection isn’t as good as the new Corsa’s (IMO) and there’s no tan wall option. Tyre wear is good on the Control, mine are over 6000 winter miles and I’m just starting to think about replacing them
  • Tim F

Yes the Control is a lot tougher than the regular Corsa but doesn’t give up much in road feel, it’s the new version of the Pavé that the pros used to use for the cobbles. I’ve never seen the attraction with GP4000’s, grip and puncture protection isn’t as good as the new Corsa’s (IMO) and there’s no tan wall option. Tyre wear is good on the Control, mine are over 6000 winter miles and I’m just starting to think about replacing them

Do you know how wide these run? I have little clearance for tires wider than 25mm. I am around 25.4 with my g's and this is tight on a 16mm internal rim! Thanks for the advice.
  • Tim F wrote:

Do you know how wide these run? I have little clearance for tires wider than 25mm. I am around 25.4 with my g's and this is tight on a 16mm internal rim! Thanks for the advice.

Similar width to the regular so you should be fine with the 25mm
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The Chao who said he gets 6000 miles from Corsa control forgot to state his weight and the fact he levitates.

Most normal people would struggle to get that from a marathon.

When people claim they get 10000 miles from a chain or very high miles from a tyre that's code for they are light and very kind to there kit.

The best I have ever had from a tyre is 7000km for a rear IRC formula Pro RBCC and was puncturing quite a bit at the end.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Chao who said he gets 6000 miles from Corsa control forgot to state his weight and the fact he levitates.

Most normal people would struggle to get that from a marathon.

When people claim they get 10000 miles from a chain or very high miles from a tyre that's code for they are light and very kind to there kit.

The best I have ever had from a tyre is 7000km for a rear IRC formula Pro RBCC and was puncturing quite a bit at the end.

Who are you calling a Chao?? For info, I’m 66kg and I do 250-350 miles per week and that’s training miles, not bumbling around. My kit gets used hard but I also look after it.
  • cgfw201 wrote:

THIS

And this again. I ride dark country lanes in the winter which are really rough in places and covered in all sorts of crap. Last year I used Gattorskins which were ok but this year I just left GP4000s on and have only had one puncture all winter (that said now I’ll probably get a puncture the next time I’m out!)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904

So you are saying that a rear tyre lasts longer than a front Malcolm?? Sounds very strange to me as the rear has more weight and the traction loading. IME a rear wears approx twice as fast a front......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com
    For comparisons in different aspects give it a check
  • imposter2.0
    Klaus B wrote:

Posted many times before. Never been convinced that site is completely reliable. Some of their 'test results' certainly seem to go against user experience and their method of rolling the tyres on a checkerplate drum has always struck me as being a bit bizarre...
  • Klaus B
    Klaus B Posts: 63
    Imposter wrote:
    Klaus B wrote:

Posted many times before. Never been convinced that site is completely reliable. Some of their 'test results' certainly seem to go against user experience and their method of rolling the tyres on a checkerplate drum has always struck me as being a bit bizarre...

They actually state in many of their reviews that the results in rolling resistance can differ from the 'real roads' experiences.. for me puncture test, tire thickness, and real tire width on the rim are quite a nice info to know..