Brake pads - disc pads sintered/resin

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited February 2019 in Road general
Hi.

I'm thinking of changing my disc brake pads because they can be so noisy.

I've got Shimano sintered on there at the moment but am considering changing for the resin ones.

What's stopping me is the longevity of them - everywhere says they aren't as durable as sintered, but by how much?

I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but does anyone have any experience of swapping over?

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    venster wrote:
    Hi.

I'm thinking of changing my disc brake pads because they can be so noisy.

I've got Shimano sintered on there at the moment but am considering changing for the resin ones.

What's stopping me is the longevity of them - everywhere says they aren't as durable as sintered, but by how much?

I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but does anyone have any experience of swapping over?

I was thinking of going the other way, from organic to sintered. I can chew through a set or organic pads in a couple of weeks if the weather is bad. Hopefully that's less of an issue now we're hopefully heading out of winter.

Organic ones can also be very noisy in the wet.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Resin pads tend to fade when they heat up, sintered pads tend not to work very well unless they’re hot. Unless it’s low intensity road riding, or hell for leather road riding / descending, I’d say semi metallic were the safest bet.

Nick is a clueless troll - ignore this word salad.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,548
    I use the non-metallic pads (disco brakes kevlar I think) on my commuter/cx bike and I've never noticed them wearing out particularly fast, power/bite is as good as can be expected from mechanical disks on a bike that doesn't get much attention unless something goes wrong.
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    Been through two sets of Shimano resin pads, both lasted me about 4,500km of winter road/lane riding with plenty of noise at the merest hint of a bit of moisture around. Interested to hear if there are any other options available....