Oxford canal around Banbury

thesledge
thesledge Posts: 46
edited February 2019 in Routes
Hi folks,

I’m planning a long-distance charity ride for a group of 25 riders in August and am looking for advice on cycling along the Oxford canal from north of Banbury going south.

On Day 4 we’re going from Daventry to Tring via Banbury, Blenheim Palace and Oxford – my draft route has us joining the Oxford canal just to the east of the village of Claydon and following it all the way through Cropredy and Banbury to just north of Aynho (and east of Adderbury). We’d then come off for a coffee stop at 7th Heaven and take minor roads to Blenheim via Deddington, Over Worton, Middle Barton and Wooton.

From Google maps there looks to be a towpath all the way but does anyone know if this is the case? And if there is, will it be rideable in August rather than overgrown?

I’m based in West Yorkshire and will be recce-ing the route in April but a heads up in advance from anyone who knows the area would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

John
It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.