Untaxed vehicle on road. HOW MUCH TAX?!

Cheeseface22
Cheeseface22 Posts: 133
edited April 2019 in Commuting general
Near-miss incident with a car at a roundabout exit this morning. I tapped the car to sign my presence as the car was swerving into me at the pinch point of the exit. Driver then initiates "brake checks," swerving in/out of my direction of travel, intimidating me for approximately 200ft, paying no regards to me or other vehicles behind me.

I noted the registration of the vehicle. Checked on DVLA website. UNTAXED. Was due 1st of this month.

I reported on regional police website for dangerous driving and for also not being taxed. I don't expect anything to be done with this, to be honest, but the untaxed bit got me wound up.

And I wondered what the tax rate for that particular vehicle is...

£30 for the year.

WTF?! only £30? And for one whole month the guy was willing to risk being reported for untaxed vehicle?!

It is possible that he bought the vehicle last night and the online system hadn't registered his payment, but come on. £30.

Forum veterans, fire away with your speculations and time-wasting comments. This is for you.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Driver is a nob. Not surprised he hadn't paid up.

Tapping cars possibly isn't that wise though. As you've seen some people react badly.
  • With no tax disc any more, it's very possible just to forget.

Which reminds me... mine is only £30 and I don't know when it is due.

Edit: No scratch that, they send something in the post don't they? Idiot then.
  • A colleague of mine arrived at work one day with a massive black eye as a result of “tapping” a car door with his foot on his commute . . . :roll:
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My other half has a VW Polo, some Eco version, tax is £20 on that.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ta - just checked my vehicles - all taxed - thought they were, but couldn't remember renewing the last one which was due 1st Jan - bit more than £30 though
  • I am fully aware of how drivers can get twitchy when their cars are touched by a stranger. I avoid it whenever possible.

This time, it was at a pinch point and I had no escape and I didn't have the space or time to brake abruptly. So it was either a tap or I eat the curb.

Ironically, I caught up with the driver at the next traffic light (500ft away...). He didn't want to engage with me. In a way, he did the right thing by not engaging as I was anticipating him to be aggressive. But then why have the audacity to drive dangerously and purposely intimidate me from the comfort of his metal cage if he can't follow through his action. Coward.

A coward. £30. I don't get it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbh we went without insurance on our car for a year. For some reason the insurance company didn't renew and we didn't notice. Luckily it wasn't needed but I'm on top of things now.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Vehicle excise duty is a bit of a joke. Some of my diesel company cars have had a zero tax rate in the past, and current car is only £30.
    Did you check it's MOT status too?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oxoman wrote:
    Last motor was a dirty diesel and it was a massive £0.00, replacement eco friendly petrol thing is £140 doesn't make sense..
    It does as the whole dirty diesel is mostly ill informed arseholery comment.

Fuel has no effect on VED, just CO2, noting for the cycle I pay the same as many cars (like a Toyota Prius) at £0.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tab ... march-2001
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You can only pay tax if the car has an MOT... pretty sure the guy doesn't have an MOT

If you have frequent troubles with motorists in city traffic, I suggest you strap a cricket bat to your back pack, so that it is well visible... it tends to deter the worst behaviours... and when it doesn't, then at least you have some means of making sure the highway code is properly understood
    left the forum March 2023
  • MOT was inapplicable for the vehicle, too new (less than 3 years old) to have its first MOT.

I've calmed down now. I've done what I can by reporting it. Not my role to judge the driver and bring down the law on him. I believe in eventuality of one paying for his/her consequence one way or the other (sort of like a karma, I guess).

Whinging over, until the ride home later.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Don't worry, wait until you get told to "Pay Road Tax" by the driver of a ZERO VED Rated Vehicle.

Yeah, £30 is pittance.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...