Changing cassette?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road general
My road bike has an 11-28 on the rear.

I was wondering if I could change the caseete slightly to make some really steep hills in my area slightly easier to spin up. What can I change it to without having to change the rear derailleur for a loner one as I heard this is the case.

It's a 105 groupset

Many thanks.

Comments

• Depends on the rear mech. Reckon if it takes a 28 then it should take a 30. 32 maybe pushing it if its a short/medium cage. Also chain will need to be bigger so will need changing too.

As your new to cycling id recommend being patient and persevering with the 28 tooth cassette. Reckon in a few weeks and a few few hundred more miles in your legs you will be fine. But remember that hills dont really get any easier you just get up them quicker as you get better.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    To answer this question what is needed to be known is what model of 105 you have. Look at the back of the pallalelogram and tell us that code then we can tell you what the max cog size is. If it's 5800 series then 11-28t is all the short cage can realistically cope with and still maintain cabin tension in all gears.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.