Wheels for climbing with....

tackleberry
tackleberry Posts: 81
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking for recommendations for a wheel that is light enough to make climbing a little less stressful than it needs to be, NOT ruinously expensive, with a decent braking performance (rims not discs) 'cos I'm not a great descender.

Answers on a post.......

T

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    tubular/tubesless/clincher/carbon/ali/price range?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Truth is, no such wheel exists.
  • E-bike?

Serious answer, are Dura Ace C24's or Campy Shamals within your price range?
  • Matthewfalle
    i've climbed in the mountains with carbonzone 60s with no problems at all.

i've also used Kyserium Elites with no problems.

ywo different wheels, two price ranges.

we need more info tbh otherwise we are just chucking random words around.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Joe Totale wrote:
    E-bike?

I've got some DA C24s - climbing is still hard... ;)
  • Imposter wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    E-bike?

I've got some DA C24s - climbing is still hard... ;)

Well the real correct answer is to heed Eddy Merckx and just ride up more hills but I doubt that the original poster will appreciate that.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    What budget?

Increasing Watts per kilo is the best method of course :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Mavic Cosmic Elite UST are pretty good VFM. They’re tubeless ready too.

no they aren't they are heavy and rubbish.

please go away nick.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I have Fulcrum Zero's for my away trip/climbing wheels, they are the same as Campagnolo Shamal.
    Very nice wheels, I really enjoy descending and these have no problem slowing from 90+ Kmh using Dura-ace rim brakes.
    They don't make going up much easier.
  • Matthewfalle

please go away nick.

Oh you’ve used them have you?

Thought not.

yes actually. they were fitted to a friend's S5 which i rode for a bit. they were junk so we smashed them and screwed the rear one to a bit of wood to use as a trophy.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

please go away nick.

Thought not.

imposter: he's moved on from level one already - 15 posts early today.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

please go away nick.

Thought not.

imposter: he's moved on from level one already - 15 posts early today.

He's evolved. Or in Nick's case, he's devolved. ;)
  • imposter2.0
    The OP said they wanted bang for the buck, not high end super pricey pro kit, I reckon the USTs are a good shout.

Are these the same USTs you were complaining about before you got banned (again) ??
  • bang for buck those DTswiss 1400 wheels are good if you shop around, tough light enough quite wide if thats your thing and come tubless ready. Theyre based on 240 hubs so nothing wrong there and they have a very smart oxic coating so they look smart and so far 10months in, the coating has no marks on it at all.

I bought them as fast training wheels but i just leave them on. because Im enjoying them. Ive serviced the hubs once for good measure but i dont think they needed it.

The thing with climbing is that what goes up must come down and when you do Ive got a lot of confidence in these wheels.
  • Matthewfalle

please go away nick.

Thought not.

yes actually. they were fitted to a friend's S5 which i rode for a bit. they were junk so we smashed them and screwed the rear one to a bit of wood to use as a trophy.

The OP said they wanted bang for the buck, not high end super pricey pro kit, I reckon the USTs are a good shout.

bang for buck they are not any good and are rubbish and half as expensive again as Carbonzones that are stiffer, lighter, roll better, are cooler, brakes as well, make nicer noises and aren't rubbish.

the mavics are rubbish.

now please stop posting tripe.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I have both DA C24 and Ksyrium Elite S,I am biased toward climbing. Personally I think the Shimano are worth the extra money.

I don't know what to buy next though as the DA are good, but dated tech these days?
  • bang for buck those DTswiss 1400 wheels are good if you shop around, tough light enough quite wide if thats your thing and come tubless ready. Theyre based on 240 hubs so nothing wrong there and they have a very smart oxic coating so they look smart and so far 10months in, the coating has no marks on it at all.

I bought them as fast training wheels but i just leave them on. because Im enjoying them. Ive serviced the hubs once for good measure but i dont think they needed it.

The thing with climbing is that what goes up must come down and when you do Ive got a lot of confidence in these wheels.

I've been eyeing up those 1400s myself for a Colnago Master revamp. Good to hear that the coating lasts.

OP I'll second the Fulcrum Zeros/Shamal Ultras - they're very stiff wheels which is what you want for climbing and very light in the aluminium world. Smooth bearings and they also look nice too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The make climbing esier weight has to be shed and quite alot of it. Without knowing what you have and what tyres are on the wheels then no advise can be offered.

How a wheel "feels" under load is complex but has little to with with weight. It is possible for a 1300g and 1700g wheelset to feel similar going up is the 1700g set is alot stiffer than the lighter set.

Climbing wheels to earn that title need to weight 1000g. Then there is a resonable weight saving.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're going to lose time on the descents anyway then practicing hills is a much better bet than spending hundreds of quid.
  • Looking for recommendations for a wheel that is light enough to make climbing a little less stressful than it needs to be, NOT ruinously expensive, with a decent braking performance (rims not discs) 'cos I'm not a great descender.

Answers on a post.......

T

No idea how much you weigh but losing 1kg or more in body weight will be far more beneficial than spending money on new wheels . . . of course a set of aero wheels will have some benefit on the flats but up hill it’s power to weight with most of the weight being the rider . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • I have a well-used set of carbon Roval Alpinista SL's at 1.05kg. You can have those pretty cheap. I've stopped using them as age precludes anything less than embarrassing results in the hill climb season.

But what I would say is, braking in the dry is OKish .... in the wet not good, in fact quite worrying really. They are tubular. You can't be heavy. So not exactly practical. But great for going up-hill. Other than those small considerations they are great as a 'not every-day make your bike feel super light' wheelset.

Actually, unless you are a hill climber I wouldn't. But £250 they are yours with a good set of Vittoria CX tubs attached.

For a practical lightweight wheelset look at DCR or Wheelsmith Ascents.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Looking for recommendations for a wheel that is light enough to make climbing a little less stressful than it needs to be, NOT ruinously expensive, with a decent braking performance (rims not discs) 'cos I'm not a great descender.

Answers on a post.......

T

No idea how much you weigh but losing 1kg or more in body weight will be far more beneficial than spending money on new wheels . . . of course a set of aero wheels will have some benefit on the flats but up hill it’s power to weight with most of the weight being the rider . . .

I'd rather lose 1kg on wheels than 1kg in body fat. It's easier and will save on rotational weight. Better still, both would be excellent.
  • imposter2.0
    HaydenM wrote:
    I'd rather lose 1kg on wheels than 1kg in body fat. It's easier and will save on rotational weight. Better still, both would be excellent.

The 'rotational weight' thing is a bit of a fallacy. Firstly, you are presuming that the rims are where the weight is being saved - as opposed to the hubs. Lots of 'light' wheelsets use regular rims, but laced to pared-down hubs with tiny bearings. No rotational weight savings there. Secondly, Newton's laws of motion (specifically those relating to conservation of momentum) suggest that lower rotational weight makes little/no difference over higher rotational weight when moving. Going uphill, the difference is going to be miniscule.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Best wheels I ever owned were fulcrum racing nites. They roll great, are light(ish) and stiff, and the braking surface is incredible if you are doing lots of climbing.

Worth every penny imo.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Imposter wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

The 'rotational weight' thing is a bit of a fallacy. Firstly, you are presuming that the rims are where the weight is being saved - as opposed to the hubs. Lots of 'light' wheelsets use regular rims, but laced to pared-down hubs with tiny bearings. No rotational weight savings there. Secondly, Newton's laws of motion (specifically those relating to conservation of momentum) suggest that lower rotational weight makes little/no difference over higher rotational weight when moving. Going uphill, the difference is going to be miniscule.

Fair point, I'll rephrase it, I'd rather have a nicer bike than starve myself for 1kg. I was more pointing out that by his own admission he has no idea what the OP weighs, then says losing weight is 'far more beneficial than spending money on wheels'. Standard internet advice but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Let's face it, the majority of the cycling public could lose weight, doesn't mean we should stop having nice bikes until we do :wink:
  • I would swear I posted a link to these wheels, which seems to have been deleted
    available in tubular or clincher version https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/eu/prod ... r-wheelset
  • HaydenM wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Fair point, I'll rephrase it, I'd rather have a nicer bike than starve myself for 1kg. I was more pointing out that by his own admission he has no idea what the OP weighs, then says losing weight is 'far more beneficial than spending money on wheels'. Standard internet advice but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Let's face it, the majority of the cycling public could lose weight, doesn't mean we should stop having nice bikes until we do :wink:

I wasn’t suggesting that they were mutually exclusive just that he could get faster uphill for free by losing a bit of weight . . . that applies to me too yet I still love my Enve SES 3.4s :D
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Zonda, Kyrsium, Cero AR24.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Open pro UST rim made up with something like a Carbon Ti hub. Wide, light, tubeless, stiff - all boxes ticked
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Nothing beats a good pair of legs.