Carerra subway one change bars to riser bars.

Jaller79
Jaller79 Posts: 16
edited February 2019 in MTB general
I own a Carerra subway one and wish to change the handle bars - how can I find out the stem clamp diameter - please -

This not on the specification on the website - I called Halfords too and they said measure them...............

I only have a ruler so not too easy I can take a guess

I want to replace the drop bars with a riser bar - as the drop ones are seriously affecting my shoulders.

something like this

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bra ... prod119535

These are 25.4mm

any advise please

I fitted a stem riser on my trek mountain bike but this has semi riser bars - I'm not a fan of these drop handle bars at all.

At 6ft 2 its pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks John A

Comments

• bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    edited February 2019
    That's a good price at chain reaction. I've corrected this posting as I can see I gave the wrong advice before. As stated by others definitely best to measure the existing clamping circumference with tape and calculate the diameter from that.

A quick look at a couple of my bikes shows the thinner outer diameter is about 22.8mm and the raised centre is 25.4mm or 31.8mm approx.
  • If you do need to measure - take a piece of string/tape/paper and wrap it round your bars. Mark where it meets and then measure against your rigid ruler.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't they teach maths at school these days. Use Pi.

Measure the circumference with a tape measure and divide by 3.14, which will give you the diameter
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks at 52 I'd forgotten the formulae for diameter of a circle. It was 100mm so 31.8 approx at the clamp. Most handlebars are listed as 25.4 that's probably the stem not by the clamp which is much thicker. Advice please.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Take the stem face plate off and check if the diameter is engraved or printed on the bar. Most mountain bike bars are 31.8mm.
    The Subway should have flat bars, not drops. Did a previous owner change them for some reason?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Yes 31.8 at centre clamp and about 22.4 at ends - its the listings on the Web I'm confussed about the measurements on the sale sites. Like the link I posted previous. I'll ring ask is that the clamp width or bar end measurement.
  • Jaller79 wrote:
    Yes 31.8 at centre clamp and about 22.4 at ends - its the listings on the Web I'm confussed about the measurements on the sale sites. Like the link I posted previous. I'll ring ask is that the clamp width or bar end measurement.

If you are saying that your current clamp/bars are 31.8, then the ones you have linked to are too thin.

You'll want something like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bra ... prod132519
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    25.4 used to be the standard clamp size, this has been superseded by 31.8mm.

The clamp round the fork steerer will be 28.6mm on a Subway and is on probably 99% of decent bikes with only a few exceptions.

Control area/grip diameter of the bars will be 22.2mm regardless of the centre clamp diameter at the stem (25.4, 31.8 or for heavy duty use 35mm).

As above the Subway should come with flat bars, riser bars are a bit pointless on a Subway IMO.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • After a neck injury kayaking I need sit upright more and lean back - craning my neck back after 30 mins not good for me - so I though riser bars and maybe a post extension.

Thanks all for the advice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fair enough, try and avoid a steerer extension though, nasty things, however its also worth trying to shorten the cockpit (as you lean forward and down to the grips) by using an inline seatpost and/or sliding the saddle forward on the rails.

You can also consider a riser stem such as the BBB one
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-BHS-24-Hig ... OIEALw_wcB
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.