Canti brakes

prcody
prcody Posts: 67
edited March 2019 in Cyclocross
I am looking at a 2014 cyclocross bike with Canti brakes. Is there much of a difference in stopping power in canti brakes and disc brakes? I want to try cyclocross racing and use the bike as a winter bike as well and have just never used that style of canti brake so am just looking for advice on them.

The bike is a 2014 crux with 105 and carbon frame so looks to be a good spec price and a good overall bike but I have just never used that style of brake compared to hydraulic disc and Ultegra cantilever brakes.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Cantis will work fine in most conditions, so don't let that sway your choice. Stopping power is rarely 'critical' in CX anyway..
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Canti's are fine as long as you know how to set them up. A lot of bike shops seems to be really poor at it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's only in the last year or two that discs have taken off in cross. You'll be fine on canty's.
  • theyre fine, if youre just starting cross, it wont be the lack of disc brakes that holds you back or tips you off.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I struggled getting my tektro canti brakes to work well for several years. They might have been ok for racing but I never felt they would safely stop me if i needed to stop quickly. I got a pair of trp V brakes, which at £90 were not cheap. But well worth the investment I think. Much improved braking performance.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Ok for racing cross not so good on the road if your going say 40mph downhill etc & you want decent brakes.

I swapped mine for tekro mini V's with still aren't great but slightly better than the canti, but still not as good as 4700 rim brakes.