Lack of freewheel noise?

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,851
edited February 2019 in Workshop
After getting the Mavic squeal of death on my Kysiriums I fixed the Hubdoctor solution as discussed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13062486&p=20469830&hilit=doctor#p20469830

Due to a Tenerife trip then a cold I haven't been out on the road with the wheels until today when I did 70km. The repair seems to have worked with no squeal and smooth wheels. However I also noted that the freewheel "click" has gone the wheels are near silent.

Should I be concerned about this?

Comments

• Navrig2 wrote:
    After getting the Mavic squeal of death on my Kysiriums I fixed the Hubdoctor solution as discussed in this thread:

Due to a Tenerife trip then a cold I haven't been out on the road with the wheels until today when I did 70km. The repair seems to have worked with no squeal and smooth wheels. However I also noted that the freewheel "click" has gone the wheels are near silent.

Yes
  • navrig2
    Navrig2 wrote:

Yes

That's helpful. Why?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the Hub Doctor fix included a load of lube that's heavier than Mavic's original then it's possible that's silenced the clicky-clicky freewheel noise. It may return as the lube disappears.

If you take out the wheel and turn the cassette by hand can you feel / hear the pawls operating but quietly?
  • navrig2
    keef66 wrote:
    If the Hub Doctor fix included a load of lube that's heavier than Mavic's original then it's possible that's silenced the clicky-clicky freewheel noise. It may return as the lube disappears.

If you take out the wheel and turn the cassette by hand can you feel / hear the pawls operating but quietly?

Yes. On very smooth tarmac (what's that) there was a very, very faint noise but add in road noise or wind and it disappears.

I assumed that this was lube related but thought better to ask.

The Hubdoctor repair seems to have been worth it. The wheels are true and the braking surfaces good.

Cheers. :D:D