Cutting carbon steerer tube

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Anything special about the carbon cutting saw blades that are available or will a regular hacksaw blade do?

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I just use a hacksaw
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A fine blade.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have found a little junior hacksaw does the job without a problem.
  • Any fine toothed hacksaw blade will do. I always use a new one.

Tube cutting guide is mighty helpful too - or a pipe clamp will do the job if you're careful.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    any blade.

no need for a tube cuttung guide - an old stem will do.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • any blade.

Ah a mighty fine solution sir, chapeaux :D
  • Matthewfalle
    any blade.

Ah a mighty fine solution sir, chapeaux :D

thank you - always a pleasure to help

#thrifty
    #ingenious
    #wales

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I've got one of the carbon specific blades. Instead of having teeth, it has a kind of gritted edge. It does do a very good job of cutting carbon and I've never had any even slight splintering using it. You can get the same results from an ordinary fine tooth blade if you're careful, but the carbon specific ones are only a few quid and are foolproof.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    whyamihere wrote:
    I've got one of the carbon specific blades. Instead of having teeth, it has a kind of gritted edge. It does do a very good job of cutting carbon and I've never had any even slight splintering using it. You can get the same results from an ordinary fine tooth blade if you're careful, but the carbon specific ones are only a few quid and are foolproof.

Quite right, someone has been kind enough to invent a specific tool for the job, you’d have to be a bit dim not to use it.

Or in your case, a bit of a mug.

A bit of insulating tape around the cut line will stop the carbon from splintering. Any blade in good condition will do the job. But you wouldn't know that, because you've never actually done it.
  • Maybe I should have added, I'm looking to cut down the steerer tube on a Cervelo, which has had the metal shim already glued in place. Now I assume a carbon specific blade won't cut through the shim, so I have to use a normal hacksaw blade, right?
  • Maybe I should have added, I'm looking to cut down the steerer tube on a Cervelo, which has had the metal shim already glued in place. Now I assume a carbon specific blade won't cut through the shim, so I have to use a normal hacksaw blade, right?

I have a Cervelo, took the bike to my lbs, £20, job done, if they f*ck it up it’s their problem.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Maybe I should have added, I'm looking to cut down the steerer tube on a Cervelo, which has had the metal shim already glued in place. Now I assume a carbon specific blade won't cut through the shim, so I have to use a normal hacksaw blade, right?

yes. normal hacksaw blade because the shim is metal.

you don't need the "carbon specific" one for any of this whole shebang much like you don't need to wear full PPE or Romeo dress state 4 to cut it like some people counsel (generally these people are members of cycling clubs so beware of them on so many counts).

its a carbon tube with a bit of thin cheap metal in it. normal hacksaw.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Romeo what?
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531

I have a Cervelo, took the bike to my lbs, £20, job done, if they f*ck it up it’s their problem.

I have to say that I wouldn't be spending any money to get a steerer cut.
  • Romeo what?

Over preparation for the end of time.

don't over think it, just cut it with a hacksaw just like the 15 year old saturday boy at the bike shop will. Well actually not just like that because you've applied a level of thought and care to it already.
  • joe2008 wrote:

I have to say that I wouldn't be spending any money to get a steerer cut.

Its a bit like buying insurance i think. Peace of mind and all that