Hawk Hill 3 2018

zigzog
zigzog Posts: 14
edited March 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mo ... lsrc=aw.ds

Good, bad? Anything obviously wrong with it? Anything better for the price?

Cheers

Comments

• Hi

Are you looking at a new bike only or 2nd hand such as on Pinkbike?

Just you can get alot more spec for you money on 2nd hand and many of the bikes are in excellent condition on Pinkbike.
    If not then this isnt bad dont like the tektro brakes though it would be worth looking at the Vitus range or the Calibre Triple B.

Cheers
    TBT - Trail Biker Terry
    https://youtu.be/RAOuO7tFrZM
  • zigzog
    Think you may be looking at 2019 bike - the one that Im after is the 2018 and comes equipped with Shimano Deore M6000.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Looks great at that price.
    Gets good reviews as well.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Are you anywhere near Swinley? They use Hawk Hill's as hire bikes and are a Marin demo centre
  • zigzog
    Nah, I'm in Yorkshire. Ordered it now so will see what it's like. It's for a real beginner so I'm gonna be happy with anything. Wasn't considering full sus bikes as decent once were out of my price range. Just wanted to confirm this was worth the money.
  • zigzog
    And how can I tell whats the widest tyres I can run on it? Is it the rim (29mm) thats the main factor to determine the size? Im thinking of 2.6" - assuming it will fit the frame first - and the internets seems to confirm that although some say its not ideal. Then is the tubeless - yay or nay? Or does it not really matter?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why do you want to change the tyres?
    You haven’t even got the bike yet.
    Ride it as it comes for a while and then consider what, if anything needs changing.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Go for it at that price! My first ever ride on a full suss was a Hawk Hill 1, and had a blast! It's a great little trail bike, and a bargain at that price.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    zigzog wrote:
    Im thinking of 2.6"?
    Look at how close the stock 2.35 is to the fork arch....... doubt a 2.6" will fit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zigzog
    It's nothing I would do now anyway - like you say I will run it as it is for now and see how it goes. Just like the look of fatter tyre. But that's still to research - fat tyre together with going tubeless.
  • zigzog
    Came back home to this :D
    2gvmouh.jpg

Oooooh!
    nq4o06.jpg

Whats all this for :?:
    2vd2uxx.jpg

My god its gaugeous :D and feels sooo light
    2hs84jl.jpg

Feels like Christmas again
    28so3eu.jpg

Only thing I dont get is pedals - why would you not include pedals? :? Will have to get some bought asap - would be out on it now if it did come with a pair haha :D
  • jamski
    Looks amazing! As for pedals, there are so many to choose from, everyone has their own personal fave.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Yellow bit is a spacer to put in the calipers when there are no pads in place whilst you shorten the hydralic hose. Not too much point supplying that with a pre-built bike!

Looks a great deal, nice bike!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gaugeous means lots of gauges?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zigzog
    Mudguards added - the rear needed some new holes as it is meant to be for the front. But as I didnt like the look of rear ones I thought I will try and make front one fit and voila!

54514418_2271746713071996_3860949512025538560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=88d7119a5f596bbe5f5ce3e5a4535887&oe=5D1878D3

54279113_306930049993640_6380035268073750528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=a3a2a3df0c9bbf81647a9a66b4a7f72f&oe=5D0EECA8
  • zigzog
    So happy with it so far, I just wonder why I didnt get a bike earlier. Got a pump to get the suspension bob on and its just beautiful atm. Watched too much gmbn on youtube and trying to learn wheelies etc but its hard once youre old haha.

Just found out that local golf club (5mins away) has been turned into a bike park 2 years ago so went to have a look and omg - slowly tried moderate stuff and somehow cant see myself jumping at @105kg + bike haha :D think I will need to grow a proper pair and give it a go. Bloody gmbn!

Trying to get as much riding as poss to build stamina/endurance but legs feels like concrete haha but love it so far
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Hope you're not planning on riding anywhere muddy with those guards in place - there's a reason why most MTBs don't have big mudguards fitted...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • jamski
    larkim wrote:
    Hope you're not planning on riding anywhere muddy with those guards in place - there's a reason why most MTBs don't have big mudguards fitted...

I have a Mudhugger Shorty fitted all year round and it's by far been the best front guard I've had in terms of not clogging up. Never had one on the rear, but this has been the best by a mile.

iSEDAEr.jpg
  • zigzog
    So far so good - only hear odd stone from time to time at the front. And its not like I'm going places - had it less then a month and most the time it was raining.