Tyre pressure

jakeyboy07
jakeyboy07 Posts: 3
edited March 2019 in MTB general
Hi guys and gals I've got a pair of 27.5 X 2.4 MAXXIS MINION DHR 11 tyres and it says the pressure is 35 - 65 psi , I've got them at 35 psi and they feel and look like they're ready to pop so if anyone has the same tyres and size have yous had them at 65 psi or does anyone know of any set at 65 psi ?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Jakeyboy07 wrote:
    Hi guys and gals I've got a pair of 27.5 X 2.4 MAXXIS MINION DHR 11 tyres and it says the pressure is 35 - 65 psi , I've got them at 35 psi and they feel and look like they're ready to pop so if anyone has the same tyres and size have yous had them at 65 psi or does anyone know of any set at 65 psi ?

Those are pressures that keep the manufacturer from being sued. Their view is that keeping it below 65 will stop it exploding and keeping it above 35 will stop it rolling off the rim. Ignore them! (Well, not the top one anyway).

You don't say what weight you are, but I would start with 26psi front and 30 rear. Then ride it and see what you think. Be looking out for any squirming on the tyres when cornering hard, the sound of any rims dinging on the edge of rocks taken at speed. I recommend that you buy a digital tyre pressure gauge, like the one by Topeak. Once you have taken the time to find the pressures that work for you, why not ensure you get them every single time you ride.

Lower pressure will give you more grip and increased ride comfort. But don't overdo it or you will get lots of punctures!

The following link has a superb guide to finding your idea tyre pressure. Read the words, watch the video! :D

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tues ... -2011.html
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Rarely run with more than 22psi in the front and 25psi out back on a 2.4, for some weeks in the mud 18psi front and 22psi back, but I'm only 65kg in riding gear.

That size tyre even with a heavy rider 28psi would be tops. In 35 years of riding MTB's never been higher than 28psi.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you are running tubes I’d suggest starting at 35psi rear and 30psi front and then adjust the pressures until you find settings that work for you in terms of rolling resistance and grip.
    For tubeless start at 30psi rear and 28psi front.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You only need to go that high or more to seat the tyre beads and then adjust to your usual pressure.

Depends on your weight if your lightweight you could probably run 25psi in both or what ever feels comfortable without feeling like the tyre will come off the rim.
  • Tyre pressure is a personal choice and can be very much trial and error.

I'm not a fan of super-soft tyres so tend to go for 30-35psi (tubeless). Anything less that that makes the tyre feel like it wants to roll off and/or burp air. I tend to ride XC, so like to ride hardpack/fast trails and prefer a firmer tyre.

As others have said - start c.35psi and go from there?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    BillyCool wrote:
    Tyre pressure is a personal choice and can be very much trial and error.

I'm not a fan of super-soft tyres so tend to go for 30-35psi (tubeless). Anything less that that makes the tyre feel like it wants to roll off and/or burp air. I tend to ride XC, so like to ride hardpack/fast trails and prefer a firmer tyre.

As others have said - start c.35psi and go from there?

yes similar here but I'm using exo sidewall maxxis to avoid any tyre burping with my weight.
  • yonny
    yonny Posts: 36
    JBA wrote:
    If you are running tubes I’d suggest starting at 35psi rear and 30psi front and then adjust the pressures until you find settings that work for you in terms of rolling resistance and grip.

Agree. I ended up leaving them at 35r/30f, a little high for some but just feels right to me.