It's that time again - New gear Cable Set?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hey.

The Outers have split on my 7 year old XT cable set on the hard tail, so it's time for a new cable set.
The bike is primarily used as a wet weather/winter commuter, but also does the odd 40miler around the new forest's tracks, so i'm kinda inclined, from a maintenance/reliability point of view, to up spend a little, about £25 for a gear only kit. I've got a jagwire pro on the road bikes, as I managed to blag them in a shop clearance.

What's the general opinion on gear cable grouping at present?

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• I used Jagwire outer on my HT when I fitted a near rear mech last year. Been really pleased with it. Not the cheapest but recommended by someone else and it's been really good. I just bought standard (Shimano) cables and used some teflon lube.

I've got a friend who bangs on about teflon coated cables and sealed outers. It's all personal preference.

I think that cables/outers is something where you might be tempted to cut corners, but in reality you want something that won't fail at the first sign of a puddle.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano stainless inners and SP41 outers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    Shimano stainless inners and SP41 outers.

These and the shimano ptfe cables are good about 4 quid on ebay, well I paid that and my xtr setup is like new again.

No need for the expense of electronic shifting lol, I'll buy a new bike for price of that.