Rollers

adammuelta
adammuelta Posts: 2
edited February 2019 in MTB general
Wasn't sure where to post this, so "general" it is.

I'm thinking of buying some rollers, I know they're something roadies use but I'm trying to lose a bit of weight, riding's my favourite way to do it and the weather isn't great this time of year to ride every night. Also, there isn't any interesting places I can ride once I push my bike out the door, so may as well use a trainer of some sort.

My question is; are they suitable for mtb's? I'm not sure if they're only designed for the wheel span/geometry of a road bike with 700c wheels or if I'm ok to use my 650b stumpy.

Cheers

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    They're pretty adjustable generally, so you should be able to fit your MTB on. You'll definitely want to get some slicks on though.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I've never used rollers, but the best reason for getting slicks that I have heard is not that it makes it easier to pedal (you are trying to get fit aren't you?), but to reduce the rumbling noise knobbly tyres make on rollers. If you live in a flat or have noise sensitive neighbours you may get complaints.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get a turbo that's either direct drive so you take your wheel off or doesn't need your tyre - like the stac zero.

Turbos are much better for flat out workouts.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you are going to use a turbo trainer get a proper trainer tyre. There is no air flow so the rear tyre gets very hot and a normal tyre can burst.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a turbo trainer, knobblies make a shocking racket and also feel very lumpy as they grip and slip over the small diameter roller.

Get a cheap slick and whack it to 50psi minimum.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.