Recommend a tubeless track pump!

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
OK, so my 5 year old Fuji track pump has started to play up, so looking for a replacement, in addition I thought I may as well get one with a tubeless accumulator tank and retire the hard working Pepsi Max bottle.

The problem is that most I've found have a capability to go to 240psi for our shaven legged brethren and the gauge is no real cop for setting an MTB tyre pressure where you may actually want 26psi not somewhere between 25 and 30!

So anyone got a suggestion, or am I better off getting a conventional pump with the right gauge and continue with the coke (or a non pumping accumulator) bottle ?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'm sure I've seen the gmbn guys use that topeak one with the tubeless tank built in but they do go on about them digital tyre gauge things to make sure your pressures are right.

Otherwise its something like a decent track pump and an airshot combination?

edit something like this I fancy buying would need to read reviews on it

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Blackb ... lsrc=aw.ds

There's also this one price is good but whether it'll last years is another thing

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-airbl ... gK_ivD_BwE
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Mountain Biking UK did a comparison on the top combined track pump and tubeless tyre inflators. It'll be on Mr Google somewhere.

I am happy to continue with my separates.
    ie Blow Joe track pump, Airshot tubeless tyre inflator, and my Topeak digital pressure gauge. Each is individually brilliant and a top buy. I guess its possible to buy a track pump with a big reservoir that is cheaper than buying separates, but I would never trust the accuracy of the gauge, and I can't carry it in my pack! I much prefer to have a separate digital gauge that I can carry in my pack.
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:

I did see that when I was originally looking to get a tubeless pump but never actually got around to buying one. I'd be using one on mtb tyres

Do you really need 240PSI to seat a tyre?

That review talks about seating cx tyres but not mtb tyres.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'm using one of these, https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... --mountain

Usually manage to get tubeless on the rim with it without resorting to my compressor.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The Rookie wrote:

Something like that, I seem to recall that Giant was in there somewhere. But what interests me is that the combined ones are more expensive (see note) than you can buy separately a good quality Joe Blow track pump and an Airshot. To seat a 29 x 2.6" tyre 140psi in my Airshot did the job. For a 27.5 x 2.2" it was 130psi (although less would have done it, judging by how hard it banged into place!)

Good rim tape seems to make the difference. I have had to remove all the OE rim tape on three different bikes and replace it with Gorilla tape and I just don't get problems any more.

Note: I confess that I haven't checked prices for a while, not needing anything, but the Airshot has come down in price a lot recently.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Someone is selling a Beto inflator over on STW for £30.
    That and a decent floor pump and you're sorted.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    Annoying, there are some perfectly good combined pumps available for a lot less, just rubbish gauge definition.

Probably buy a decent pump and intend to get an accumulator and never do it, just keep using the coke bottle!

With a decent gauge i'd have jumped on this.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBATUPU2 ... ess-2-pump
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Annoying, there are some perfectly good combined pumps available for a lot less, just rubbish gauge definition.

Probably buy a decent pump and intend to get an accumulator and never do it, just keep using the coke bottle!

With a decent gauge i'd have jumped on this.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBATUPU2 ... ess-2-pump

Or buy a digital pressure gauge alongside the tubeless pump?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    One of the reasons I bought the Top Peak I mentioned above was that the gauge only goes to 60psi which gives plenty of definition.

I checked the gauge against two digital gauges and it was spot on in the ranges I use it for, 18-28psi.

About the only thing it would be useless for is pumping up road tyres as at 50psi it nearly becomes impossible to plunge it down due to the large barrel.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    I need it for my commuter at 100psi, would still be OK on gauge definition.

Don’t want a seperate guage, pump, attach guage, fiddle setting pressure.... just pump and go!