switching headsets

chips_44
chips_44 Posts: 6
edited February 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys!

Can I change an integrated OE Ritchey headset (loose bearing) for an integrated cartridge bearing?
I can post pics and the chosen headset tomorrow if necessary.

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Maybe is the loose bearing then sat in a cup that's pressed into the frame?
  • True. It is semi-integrated. I checked the specs of the bike on various sites, all said its integrated. I never really looked at it, but took it apart yesterday and there is a cap. Can I just use a piece of wood and a hammer to install it and a stronger metal thing to take the cap out? :D
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    chips_44 wrote:
    True. It is semi-integrated. I checked the specs of the bike on various sites, all said its integrated. I never really looked at it, but took it apart yesterday and there is a cap. Can I just use a piece of wood and a hammer to install it and a stronger metal thing to take the cap out? :D

if you can measure the inside diameter you might be able to get away with getting a cartridge bearing to fit without having to remove and install new headset cups etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That’s simply not going to work, wrong shape in cup, wrong shape on crown and top race.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.