Style help required! Fluro Helmet

Jackofallgrades
Jackofallgrades Posts: 44
edited February 2019 in Road general
I was gifted a fluro yellow helmet (Giro Synthe, love it), and am now looking to upgrade my shoes which have served me well but are fairly basic entry level Shimanos that are starting to lose their velcro stick.

My question is, I have heard on the grapevine that matching helmet and shoe colour is generally a decent rule, but would people advise it with fluro? My old shoes are black and don’t look great IMO, but fluro choices are limited so was looking at white or navy as an option instead. Sure I could find some nice fluro if I wanted to. The rest of my kit is fairly plain and mostly black at the moment, yet to spend any real cash on kit so relatively free choice atm. Am well aware of fit comes first from reading on here so let’s assume model/fit is same for whichever colour people prefer...

Let me know your thoughts! :D

(Anybody suggesting hot pink gets bonus points and then banned) :lol:

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    My view is that fluro clothing should only be worn when its dark. I always go for black shoes, as they go with almost anything, whereas bright yellow shoes are unlikely to go with very much at all. But what would I know? I was out this afternoon in a bright yellow, blue and white 80s nylon F. Moser top with green and red detail. If that wasn't breaking enough rules, it has the rainbow World Champ colours on the collar, but I did have black shoes.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    Wear what you want.
    TBH I'm a fan of high vis and bright colours. The number of cyclists I see out wearing black and dark colours all over, no lights and in grey, overcast days - they're very hard to see - why not wear something bright and make it easy for cars to see you?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Term1te wrote:
    My view is that fluro clothing should only be worn when its dark.

Why?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it's dark you won't see Fluro colours. I think you're getting confused with reflective kit. That's what you need at night.

Black shoes seem a good bet. They'll look new for longer. Bright colour shoes will show their age quickly unless you've always got overshoes or oversocks on.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    cougie wrote:
    If it's dark you won't see Fluro colours. I think you're getting confused with reflective kit. That's what you need at night.

That's why I asked. In the dark the best colour is white.
  • I like fluro kit, the dafter the better. If I’m gonna look like a tit in tight nylon gear then I may as well go the whole hog.

Which kinda explains why I own so much Alé clothing :mrgreen:
  • Visibility isn’t a major factor for me, partly because I’m usually only riding in daylight and decent conditions. Speaking purely from an aesthetic viewpoint here!

Consensus seems to be black shoes, though I do want to try and match up the fluro a bit... gloves maybe?
  • Consensus seems to be black shoes, though I do want to try and match up the fluro a bit... gloves maybe?

What about some fluro accents? Rather than all out fluro, such as black shoes/gloves with fluro lines/piping.
  • The can't believe everyone takes Mick out if me for asking questions about bikes and this guy is asking you all what colour shoes he should buy and should they match his helmet and your all taking it very seriously....I mean WTF

No wonder the outside world thinks of us as skinny girly boys riding push bikes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Make up your mind Trollfish. I thought everyone was looking at your nob ? How can we all be girly boys ?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    My view is that fluro clothing should only be worn when its dark.

Why?

Because you won't see it, just a matter of personal taste. I'm all for retroreflective bits on cycling clothing. There's a big campaign over here at the moment to encourage pedestrians to wear something retroreflective, I was given a small reflective disk that is now hanging on my work bag.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    wear what you want.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Theres no strict rule I'm aware on re shoes an lid, if there were I'm buggered, white helmet an dark grey shoes with (at the moment) fluro laces.

Giro Empires, get them in black/blue/metallic charcoal an then add what ever lace colour you fancy. Been wearing mine about a year and really enjoying them.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    there will be some clubbie rule or something he has read written by Yanto Theknob or whatever his name is re matching socks and shoes and helmet.

that is what he means by "the grapevine".
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Jackofallgrades
    Jackofallgrades Posts: 44
    edited February 2019
    Bongofish wrote:
    The can't believe everyone takes Mick out if me for asking questions about bikes and this guy is asking you all what colour shoes he should buy and should they match his helmet and your all taking it very seriously....I mean WTF

No wonder the outside world thinks of us as skinny girly boys riding push bikes.

Not a bad shout.
    there will be some clubbie rule or something he has read written by Yanto Theknob or whatever his name is re matching socks and shoes and helmet.

that is what he means by "the grapevine".

Not far wrong :roll: But the grapevine also tells me that’s the best source of info so... :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    dude

just ignore them and do what you want. anyone who tells you different is a douche.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.