Sticky Poploc on Dart 3 forks? How to fix?

RSV_Ecosse
RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
edited February 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an old 2010 Cube Acid H/T that I'm about to start using as a commuter bike along canal paths to my new place of work. It's been sat since last year gathering dust and I am working through putting it back into a decent state to use it. I noticed today that the Poploc will not return to the locked off position after its pressed at the handlebar. I've mucked about with the cable and tried undoing it/adjusting it to no avail. Is there a common problem which causes this and a fix anywhere?

Cheers.
Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010

Comments

• Your forks are over 8 years old. When were they last serviced?

I think they are Rockshox Dart 3 Poploc?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have you tried replacing the cable? Could just be 'stickiness' between the inner and outer.
    Disconnect the cable at the fork end and operate the knob on the fork by hand. If it flicks back to the open position when you let it go then that points to the cable sticking. if it doesn't return then the spool in the fork is sticking.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Forks were serviced two years ago but the bike has seen very little use in the last year.

The adjuster at the fork is still not silky smooth with the cable removed and when turning it by hand. Is this spool in the fork serviceable, easy to get at? I've fitted a new cable and a new Poploc lever at the bars.
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unscrew the cap, remove, give it a clean and drizzle on a little light oil and work it back and forth, also check the cable for smooth operation.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.