Bike locks for South East Asia

trevstonbury
trevstonbury Posts: 6
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Was hoping someone could make some bike lock recommendations for me. I am going to be cycling SE Asia later this year and wanted some advice on the best way to secure bikes. There will be 2 of us making the trip so this may have some impact on what to recommended and we want the right balance of security vs weight.

I was thinking of perhaps one D-lock, something like the ABUS Granit X–Plus 540;
http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/ ... 40-review/

Then perhaps a lighter cable lock to provide more flexibility, also does anyone have views on key vs combinations lock? We will be travelling through a mix of countryside and urban areas, any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Trevor

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd consider a chain, a D-lock has to go round something to be effective and you won't have nice neat Sheffield stands. ( I cycle a lot on the sub continent).

I wouldn't use a combination lock, they simply are not as robust to direct (brute force) impact attempts as a key type.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.