Is the Specialized Tarmac SL6 Expert worth over 4K?

mattjamesclarke
mattjamesclarke Posts: 2
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Fellow cyclists,

I’ve been cycling for a 1 year, I love it. I cycled 2000 miles last year.

My current bike is a 2015- Giant Defy, It has served me well but I’m wanting something lighter and more aero dynamic with stronger wheels.

I really like the Specialized Tarmac SL6 Expert Disc 2019, but it retails for £4250 E.g. below:

https://velocollective.co.uk/product/sp ... road-bike/

Is over 4k for a bike too much to spend? Or should I consider something like a Giant TCR advanced pro? Half the price!?

Open to suggestions for other bikes.

Matt

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's too much to spend if you can't afford it. If you can afford it, it's not. Whether it's 'worth' that price is entirely subjective. Depending on what you want from your riding, you could possibly get better value by spending less, but it's not a question that anyone else can answer really...
  • Probably worth bearing in mind that the Tarmac is pretty different in geometry to a Defy, all things being equal. It's going to be lower at the front, and longer in the top tube for an equivalent size. Expect it to be about 20-odd mm lower and the same longer. If you've got a few spacers on your Defy, you're going to have a lot more on a Tarmac, even more if you need to size down to make the reach work for you. Your money, your choice, but at a certain point you could be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

As ever, the only real answer is the bike is worth the money if it fits well enough and makes you happy enough when you ride it. Test ride as many things as you can.
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    I would agree with the answers above. Whilst some things are blatant rip-offs, most bikes are worth as much as you'd like to spend. I could say to you that you'd get a better specced Canyon for less, but if you want the Specialized and can afford it, buy it. Only thing I'd say is before dropping that much on a bike, go and get a good bike fit, and either get them to compare your numbers to a Tarmac, or do it yourself once you have your measurements. There's no point buying a Tarmac if you'll be sore on it. Conversely, there's no point buying a Roubaix if you need a long and low position on something like a Venge. Buy what you like, and what fits. Bike wise though, I've had a ride on a mid range Tarmac and it's a bloody good frame.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    You can get a stonkingly good bike for ~£2k these days, there is definitely a law of diminishing returns when it comes to bikes. That said, if you have the money and want the bike then no, it's not 'too expensive'.
  • If you are a useful mechanic and trust the provenance, I would go second hand.
  • The bike industry provides bikes for every price point pretty much but the laws of diminishing returns clearly apply where super expensive bikes only deliver marginal gains over cheaper bikes. It's really about what you are comfortable spending and your disposable income. Could the difference in money be better served by using it elsewhere? I personally wouldn't pay more than a £1500 even if I was a billionaire as I don't think I could every justify such a bike and I'm not a competitive fast cyclist. Perversely I actually feel more comfortable with old beater bikes as I feel I can use and enjoy them without worrying about damage or the risk of theft. Other people clearly really enjoy having a state of the art bike to get the maximum speed and bling factor. Some things I have to go high end on, I cannot bear cheap headphones it has to be Grado pretty much for me so I can enjoy the music to the maximum quality but I see people with fashion brand headphones, beats etc or cheap headphones and they are happy with them, different priorities I guess.

I would definitely say spend your time ensuring the purchase is right for you. That's a big purchase for a bike and it needs to be right. As it's a Specialized there should be dealers nearby where you can check it out before purchase. Also be prepared for the end of season drop in price where in a few months time you see the same bike drop in price by a huge amount as they clear out stock ready for next year's colour scheme. On a bike that expensive it can be a significant reduction, end of season bikes can go as low as 50% off their original price although 20% is more typical. Of course not all models have remaining stock at the end of the season but it's surprising how many do. Seems like there is always a dealer somewhere clearing out the model you are interested in. Timing your purchase right could save you a lot of money. It's a weird industry that has such seasonal price fluctuations, you don't get cars 20-50% off when next year's version comes out and there is old stock remaining.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    no.