Does a Garmin520 auto upload to Connect and Strava?

Darius_Jedburgh
Darius_Jedburgh Posts: 675
edited February 2019 in Road general
Just been sold a pup of an Edge 200. OK it was 2nd hand and cheap. Guy who sold it to me swore it loaded to Strava....then he tells me he did it through his PC with a wire!!!

I'd like auto uploads through Bluetooth direct through to Strava. Had a look and seems like the 520 does do what I want. Blurb tells me everything I want to know. Nearly.

My question is - when I've finished my ride will a 520 auto upload to Connect and then Strava? No wires or PC needed - hopefully.

Comments

• Yes it does. You need to set up the auto upload from Garmin Connect to Strava. Once you’ve done that it does it every time.
  • That's excellent. Thank you very much.
    Think I'll get one. Any peculiarities with it or does it just work?
  • Once you have linked strava and garmin connect, it just does it every time. Sometimes there is a delay, but works without fail for me
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    You can also check the Elemnt Bolt, is really good alternative.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yes it does. You need to set up the auto upload from Garmin Connect to Strava. Once you’ve done that it does it every time.
    Every time except when Connect and/or Strava are down :lol:

(admittedly that's probably not that often, must be much less than 1%, but when it does happen it's very annoying!).
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    There do seem to be some incompatible devices though. My 520 used to upload to Garmin Connect via bt, and then to Strava, no problem. My phone got a software update about a year ago and now I can't get it to connect to the 520 by bt whatever I do. (Sony Xperia Z5 compact)
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    It needs to be connected to another device (phone/laptop) using bluetooth
    That second device needs to be connected to the internet
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Yes it does. You need to set up the auto upload from Garmin Connect to Strava. Once you’ve done that it does it every time.
    Every time except when Connect and/or Strava are down :lol:

(admittedly that's probably not that often, must be much less than 1%, but when it does happen it's very annoying!).

The only thing I get is sometimes i need to reboot phone or garmin, which thus far has always sorted it. normally either a network glitch or some software update etc. either way been hassle free for good few years, though a few phones etc.
  • About 80% of the time in my case. And sometimes goes to Connect only. I sometimes have to unpair/pair 520 to phone or cable 520 to desktop to retrieve info. My Bolt is more reliable and never failed.
    When 520 works it's excellent but n=1 trial confirms Bolt is more reliable and it's interface is cooler so I won't get another 520.