Do you remove your wheel when replacing sealant?

-kk-
-kk- Posts: 15
edited February 2019 in Workshop
New to the tubeless world and just set up my first pair (with just a track pump no less!) - Schwalbe G One 35mm on Hunt Four Season Gravel Discs. Just curious, do you remove the wheel off the bike everytime you replenish the sealant? I know the rationale is to give the sealant good coverage across the entire surface area, but wondering how most people deal with it?

I also realise its far more expedient if I invest in valves with removable cores as opening up the tyres every time is not ideal!

As an aside, and maybe this is just me, but I had in my mind a slight sloshing noise when the sealant is in the tyre, but you dont really hear anything.... thats a little odd to me.

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    To top up, I leave the wheels in the frame,when deflating the tyre make sure the valve is at the top of the wheel, when injecting in fluid valve in the twenty past six position,
    and upto now I have not heard any noises from the sealant in the tyres
  • To add sealant I use an old Stans 2oz sealant bottle that has a cap whose tip fits into the valve stem with the valve core removed. No need to remove the wheel or disturb the seal of the bead against the rim wall:
      Rotate the wheel so the valve is at 5 o'clock / 7 o'clock. Deflate tyre. Remove valve core. Pour desired amount of sealant from bulk bottle into 2oz bottle and replace cap. Hold 2oz bottle horizontally, insert tip into valve stem, upend and squeeze bottle to inject sealant into tyre. When bottle is empty, remove it, replace valve core and inflate tyre. Wash out Stans bottle and cap with water ready for next time.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    Nick Payne wrote:
    To add sealant I use an old Stans 2oz sealant bottle that has a cap whose tip fits into the valve stem with the valve core removed. No need to remove the wheel or disturb the seal of the bead against the rim wall:
      Rotate the wheel so the valve is at 5 o'clock / 7 o'clock. Deflate tyre. Remove valve core. Pour desired amount of sealant from bulk bottle into 2oz bottle and replace cap. Hold 2oz bottle horizontally, insert tip into valve stem, upend and squeeze bottle to inject sealant into tyre. When bottle is empty, remove it, replace valve core and inflate tyre. Wash out Stans bottle and cap with water ready for next time.
    If you use the valves of Milkit you don't need to deflate the tyre.!
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • -kk-
    -kk- Posts: 15
    Thanks! Your replies are super helpful!