Which carbon disc brake wheels

GrahamK
GrahamK Posts: 5
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi
I've placed a deposit on a aero disc brake road bike. It comes with a low grade wheelset so I'm considering which wheelset to upgrade to. The shop are suggesting Campag' Bora one 35's or Fulcrum carbon racing quattro 40mm. Not sure this is the right way to go. I'm also thinking of an Reynolds AR41x or AR58x. I'm not racing and only ride for fun, club rides and playing with Strava PR's. Any other good suggestions?

Comments

• rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro DB’s on my Cyclocross bike and I like them.

I’ve found them to be pretty robust and they spin nice. The only downside is the cheap
    nasty graphics.

I really don’t think I’d be looking at them for an aero bike though.
  • Lifetime warranty with the Reynolds would be my choice
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I’ve got a pair of Hunt 50 Aero Carbon wheels and they are fantastic. Great customer service too (I contacted them about changing from QR to Through Axle)

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... spoke-1099
  • I'm thinking of buying the Prime BlackEdition 50mm wheels from CRC, which seem very well priced at £699. Hambini seems to rate the Primes (or at least they compare well to the established brands) - obviously aero tests are open to debate. Just saving my pennies for another month...
  • I'm thinking of buying the Prime BlackEdition 50mm wheels from CRC, which seem very well priced at £699. Hambini seems to rate the Primes (or at least they compare well to the established brands) - obviously aero tests are open to debate. Just saving my pennies for another month...

I have some cheaper Prime 50mm rim brake RR versions, and really like them. They are nice-weather-only wheels, so haven't been thrashed about in the rain or winter road detritus, but they have been excellent so far. Got them for £450 before CRC stopped doing the British Cycling 10% discount.

At the time of writing the 50mm disc BlackEdition wheels are out of stock, the 38mm rims are in stock.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Renoylds are not the only company offering a life time warranty. Seriously though the ability to service/repair and warranty cover should be as an important consideration as how aero they are.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

I have some cheaper Prime 50mm rim brake RR versions, and really like them. They are nice-weather-only wheels, so haven't been thrashed about in the rain or winter road detritus, but they have been excellent so far. Got them for £450 before CRC stopped doing the British Cycling 10% discount.

At the time of writing the 50mm disc BlackEdition wheels are out of stock, the 38mm rims are in stock.

That’s good to hear, thanks. These will be for the best bike and I’ll put the older Bontrager wheels on the winter bike.
  • proto wrote:
    I’ve got a pair of Hunt 50 Aero Carbon wheels and they are fantastic. Great customer service too (I contacted them about changing from QR to Through Axle)

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... spoke-1099

I've had these for 2 years. Faultless. The only niggle is the tyres- i have G-ones and they are tight as fck to get off the rim. The wheels themselves are fab, and can be all-weather (as the braking surface is disc, not rim).

They have adapters for thru-axle, and there is a freehub for XD-R if you want to go eTap AXS.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire