New Triban RC 520 Gravel

ravit50
ravit50 Posts: 19
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Was about to purchase the regular Triban RC520 have just seen that the Gravel Version has being released
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-520-grav ... 54425.html

FRAME
New Triban Evo frame made of aluminum 6061 T6, comfort geometry with adapted Sloping.
Weight: 1780 g in size M. Stable and versatile frame: possibility to attach the mudguard and luggage carrier. Compatible with up to 36 tires. The specially manufactured frame ensures high lateral stiffness and good absorption of vibrations. In addition, our even more easily accessible quick release system offers a high degree of rigidity.
FORK
New Triban-Evo fork with bars made of carbon and aluminum stock, 1 1/8 '' Aheadset. This fork combines comfort with low weight and precision.
The carbon has been redesigned to provide good lateral rigidity and filtering of frontal vibration.
Recesses for attaching a front porter.
Maximum load fork: 8 kg.
Eyelets on the wheel axle for attaching a mudguard.
Compatible with tires up to 36 mm.
BAR / STEM / HEADSET
Triban Gravel aluminum handlebar with 16 ° flare for excellent grip and outstanding comfort.
Handlebar width (center / center):
XS / S: 420 mm.
M / L: 440 mm.
XL: 460 mm.
Stem:
XS / S: 80 mm, M: 100 mm.
L: 110 mm.
XL: 120 mm
DRIVE / CIRCUIT
Shimano 105 R7000 shifter, Shimano 105 R7000
derailleur, Shimano 105 R7000
rear derailleur, 11-speed with long shift cage,
Total weight: 843 g
So-called Shadow switchgear for better protection when cruising. The rear derailleur remains underneath the cartridge and does not protrude beyond the seatstays, reducing the risk of tearing.
CRANK / CARTRIDGE
MICROSHIFT cassette CS-H110 11x 11/32
(11/12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/28/32).
Compact Shimano RS 510 50x34 crankset. Length of crank to bike size: XS, S: 170 mm, M: 172.5 mm, L / XL: 175 mm.
BRAKES
Disc brakes TRP HY / RD, mechanical on hydraulic pistons. Reliable and efficient. 160 mm front and rear windscreen.
Anti-compression brake cable JAGWIRE for precise, effective braking.
Semi metallic brake pad TRP (version M515 / M525).
IMPELLERS
Wheels: Triban Tubeless Ready Light *
Aluminum 6106 T6.
ETRTO dimensions: 622 x 17 C.
24 mm high for more lateral rigidity.
Steel cross spokes for more rigidity (28 each in front and back). Gasketed Cartridge Bearings. Weight
per Pair (without cassette and without QR): 2,000 g
* Replacement Kit Not Supplied Required (Contents: two tubeless valves, two rim bands, and one bottle of puncture resistant fluid)
TIRE
Tires: Hutchinson Overide 35 Tubeless Ready
350 g
Skinwall Folding
HardSkin reinforcement over the entire tire tread
Resistant carcass: 66 TPI.
Dimensions: 35c-622/700 × 35c
Min. Pressure: 3 bar / 43 PSI
Max. Pressure: 5.5 bar / 80 PSI
Mountain pressure with hose: 4.5 bar at the front, 5 bar at the rear (75 kg driver)
SADDLE / SEATPOST
New saddle Triban ErgoFit. Hammock construction for more comfort. Triban seatpost made of aluminum. Simple saddle adjustment, diameter: 27.2 mm, length: 350 mm in size M / L / XL, 250 mm in size XS / S
The natural flexibility of the seat post filters through its 27.2 mm diameter vibration and vibration for more comfort out
PEDALS
Incl. Flat pedalsWe recommend the use of flat or SPD pedals

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What was the question?
  • What do you think bigger tires and wider handle bars and different colour would it be worth it for commuting compared to the regular RC520
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Looks interesting
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Yes, looks pretty good. Wonder what the UK pricing will be like?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looks like it would make a bomb-proof and versatile commuter, but only you can really say if fatter tyres etc will be of benefit on your commute.

Think if I was going for discs I'd want flat mount and hydraulic, but I'm sure they are building it down to a price point
  • keef66 wrote:
    Looks like it would make a bomb-proof and versatile commuter, but only you can really say if fatter tyres etc will be of benefit on your commute.

Think if I was going for discs I'd want flat mount and hydraulic, but I'm sure they are building it down to a price point

I agree, substitute full hydro brakes and it would be ideal. Maybe there will be an Ultegra version at a higher price point that will include them.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Only 36mm recommended tyre clearance, which isn't really enough. In fact, the frame, fork, wheels, drivetrain and brakes are the same as the standard RC 520 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html. It appears to be basically only the tyres and handlebar which are different, and the standard one's available now.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    keef66 wrote:

I agree, substitute full hydro brakes and it would be ideal. Maybe there will be an Ultegra version at a higher price point that will include them.

Before it was launched they said there would likely be a sub £1000 ultegra version and a gravel version featuring sram 1x. So would seem likely that if an ultergra version is around £1000 it will be the same brakes.

And if there is a 1x gravel version to come unless they redesign the frame it's probably not much use given the 36mm tyre clearance.

Clearance for 45mm tyres and full hyraulic 105 group for around £1000-1100 would have made much more sense
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXFMA1/ ... pex-1-bike

PX are doing a SRAM 1X Full Monty with BB7s for £500; similar proposition to the above?
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Only 36mm recommended tyre clearance, which isn't really enough. In fact, the frame, fork, wheels, drivetrain and brakes are the same as the standard RC 520 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html. It appears to be basically only the tyres and handlebar which are different, and the standard one's available now.

I’m gonna have to wait any way as there’s no size S available in the uk until April. If it’s the same price I’ll get the gravel edition.
  • ravit50 wrote:
    I’m gonna have to wait any way as there’s no size S available in the uk until April. If it’s the same price I’ll get the gravel edition.

They seem to have a supply problem with the small frame size in this bike. I had to wait a couple of months for an RC520 in size S to come in stock. They regularly had every other size in but not the S.

(Co-incidentally I had an email today saying they just came back in stock today and already I can see they only have one left.)

I'm not trying to put you off - just warning you that the small 520s seem much rarer than the other sizes.

The gravel version does look great though. Love the paint colour and the flared bars. Thought they might have gone 1x with it for a bit more of a "gravelly" vibe.

My "regular" RC520 is fine for me though. I'm very much a drop-bar beginner and it seems like a lot of bike for the money. I had a Ribble CGR on loan before this and the 520 feels just as good at not much more than half the price!

I think the right corners have been cut and although it would be nice to have had through axles, full hydraulic brakes etc. I assume this would put the cost up and out of the reach of paupers like me!

The only thing I think they might have done is gone with the hydraulic tiagra groupset over the current mashup of 105 brifters and derailleurs/Shimano-non-series-crank/TRP-HyRd brakes/Microshift cassette. I guess even that would have added significantly to the cost. FWIW, I find the HyRds work really well, although I've yet to test them in difficult circumstances.
  • Does this bike have Tubeless Tyres?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ravit50 wrote:
    Does this bike have Tubeless Tyres?

Tubeless-ready, most likely. So if you actually want to go tubeless, you'll have to set them up yourself..
  • jdee84
    ravit50 wrote:

I would doubt it, the wheels need tubeless rim tape added to make them tubeless compatible so I doubt they are providing tubeless ready tyres if the wheels require tubeless set up
  • jdee84 wrote:
    ravit50 wrote:

I would doubt it, the wheels need tubeless rim tape added to make them tubeless compatible so I doubt they are providing tubeless ready tyres if the wheels require tubeless set up

TIRE

If they have tubes what would be the best pressures to run, I weigh 66kg/ 147Ib
  • jdee84
    ravit50 wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:
    ravit50 wrote:

TIRE

If they have tubes what would be the best pressures to run, I weigh 66kg/ 147Ib

Didn't see that. I would guess they ll definitely have tubes the wheel spec says tubeless rim tape and valves need to be purchased to make them tubeless.

There'll be some sort of conversion chart for pressures if you google. I d probably be thinking something like 45psi front and 55 rear on 35mm tyres