Castelli RoS jersey v jacket

Camsteraye
Camsteraye Posts: 2
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi folks I’m guessing this has been asked before but I’m looking to buy either the RoS jersey or jacket but at a push and if missus is not looking I could get both 8) , looking for advice please?

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    I have both. If you can only get one, the jersey definitely.

Jacket is a beautiful thing and very warm so you can use it in very cold temperatures, but the jersey can be used in almost as cold conditions and in much warmer ones too. For typical UK weather, you'll get much more use from the jersey - it's pretty much an October to May item.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I'd second the above. I don't have the Ros version, but the older Alpha version in both jacket and jersey. I mistaken picked the jersey up in near-freezing (it may have been sub zero actually, can't quite remember) conditions with just a base layer as my torso was warm enough, but I have also ridden it up near 8 or so with the same base layer. With a range of base layers, the jersey could likely see you through most of what British weather has to throw at you. That said, my jacket also gets a lot of use as I commute 11 miles each way to work every day. As I am dressing up for cycling twice a day the convenience of a single base layer + single jacket is pretty useful in the winter, plus it's an amazing jacket!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd agree with the above; jersey's a more versatile option for southern UK.

However, being of the Yorkshire persuasion I went for the jacket just because it was half price at the time. It is deceptively warm; so far I've never needed more than a LS base layer under it. Guessing it will see use from November-March in a normal year, and once it's above 10c I'll be back to jerseys / arm warmers / gilets for the flexibility.

It is a magical thing and very cleverly constructed. The DWR sheds water very effectively, it's windproof in all the right places and very breathable. The inner zipped waffle waistcoat thing adds a layer of insulation which is very thin but effective, and you can unzip the outer to dump heat without freezing your nipples off.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I have the (Alpha) jacket which works well at anything below around 8 degrees or so - depending on base layer and the effort you're putting in. It will happily go to -5 with just a base layer underneath.

I bought it because it works well at temperatures that my LS Gabba starts to get chilly.

So for me the jacket filled a gap in my wardrobe whereas the jersey didn't offer much new. I guess it depends on what other cycling clothing you have
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    GrenW wrote:
    ... works well at anything below around 8 degrees or so - depending on base layer and the effort you're putting in. It will happily go to -5 with just a base layer underneath.

That's what I find quite magical about it. I'm still constantly amazed by how warm it keeps me despite being thin and closely fitting.