4 days in lake annecy

steveatbath
steveatbath Posts: 49
edited February 2019 in Tour & expedition
Off for my first cycle trip in May. We are flying in to Geneva on a Friday morning and leaving Monday evening. Any ideas on where we should stay or any must see routes around annecy? We would consider another location but annecy looks to be good for all levels.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    annecy is gorgeous and stunning and lovely.

last year's etape was there so you could do as much of that as you want.

theres also another thread on here a few months back about some dude who did the same as you are doing - worth digging out.

did i mention annecy is lovely?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    We spent 10 days next to Lake Annecy last year, and have already booked to go again this year. It’s a beautiful area. If you have a look on cyclingchallenge.com, there are some really good route files there to stick on your Garmin. A lap of the lake taking in the Forclaz from the south side (averages double figures, don’t be deceived by the official average as there’s a flat/descent section which pulls the average down) is around 30 miles.

The Col de L’Arpettaz is 10 miles south of the lake, and you can ride all of the 10 miles on the fantastic cycle path. The climb is superb, around 15km, averaging just over 8% with over 40 hairpins and is very very quiet. It’s gravelly in sections though, and the descent down the other side is sketchy and slow for that reason. You can see Mont Blanc from the top too.

And the Semnoz via the Leschaux is also awesome. It’s the less steep side of the Semnoz, but is quieter and at 26km overall is a lovely long spin up from St Eustache. It averages 6-7% with the steepest part only around 8%.

Basically it’s a fantastic place to ride a bike and I can’t wait to go back. The cycle path is also superb for family rides, we take all our bikes with us.

https://www.cycling-challenge.com/top-5 ... ke-annecy/
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    NorvernRob wrote:
    We spent 10 days next to Lake Annecy last year, and have already booked to go again this year. It’s a beautiful area. If you have a look on cyclingchallenge.com, there are some really good route files there to stick on your Garmin. A lap of the lake taking in the Forclaz from the south side (averages double figures, don’t be deceived by the official average as there’s a flat/descent section which pulls the average down) is around 30 miles.

The Col de L’Arpettaz is 10 miles south of the lake, and you can ride all of the 10 miles on the fantastic cycle path. The climb is superb, around 15km, averaging just over 8% with over 40 hairpins and is very very quiet. It’s gravelly in sections though, and the descent down the other side is sketchy and slow for that reason. You can see Mont Blanc from the top too.

And the Semnoz via the Leschaux is also awesome. It’s the less steep side of the Semnoz, but is quieter and at 26km overall is a lovely long spin up from St Eustache. It averages 6-7% with the steepest part only around 8%.

Basically it’s a fantastic place to ride a bike and I can’t wait to go back. The cycle path is also superb for family rides, we take all our bikes with us.

You've pretty much stolen my two usual replies :cry: I didn't find the descent off arpettaz to Ugine sketchy at all tho. If/when I go back I'll probably redo Etape route.

lake Annecy is beautiful
  • Cool great start, thanks! What area is best to stay, around the old town?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    NorvernRob wrote:

You've pretty much stolen my two usual replies :cry: I didn't find the descent off arpettaz to Ugine sketchy at all tho. If/when I go back I'll probably redo Etape route.

lake Annecy is beautiful

The road was cracked in multiple places, with patches of gravel too so I took it steady. I’m happy to belt down when I can (I’m top 3% of the Forclaz descent), but I really didn’t fancy letting it go down L’arpettaz :lol:
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432
    My very first ride in Annecy was up Forclaz and got double puncture and wrecked rim at top of descent on some heavy rubble made invisible by following my mates big arse!!! Bonus was mrs agreed to let me order new set of FFWD from wiggle
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Cool great start, thanks! What area is best to stay, around the old town?

we stayed too far out - ten minute drive, right on the lake - but this was down to not being able to get anywhere centre ville.

doing it again I'd stay as close as possible to the centre river bit where the bridges are 5 mins from where the etape village was as that is where all the bars and restaurants are.

its utterly lovely there.

remember to go for a swim in the lake very first thing - sun over the mountains, lake is surprisingly warm, gorgeous.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • A heads up - the area has had even heavier snow this winter compared to last winter, and last winter it was pretty hefty stuff. This meant a lot of the climbs didn't open until a wee bit later. We went out in the second week of June and they'd just got the Madeleine open (2000m) the day after we arrived. I reckon the 1600m and under climbs should be fine by May, but just in case - use this website (you'll want the Alpes du Norde section)

https://www.sport-passion.fr/parcours/etat-cols.php
  • Here's the other thread viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=13100519
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Very little to add aside from it's a beautiful place.

I've been twice during TDF week to ride the cols and ended up staying in Veyrier-du-lac both times due to the tour being in town and all other accommodation being taken.

Veyrier is a bit too far away from Annecy centre to get there without driving but is on a small hill at the side of the lake so you get fantastic views.

The riding is beautiful and we climbed Semnoz and Forclaz as well as plenty of other places in the area. Other famous cols are available if you are prepared to drive to them.
    FCN = 4
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    It is stunning, no doubt. What's the weather like in May, though? Seems early in the season to me.