BMC 2018 v 2019

paddy_pumpkin
paddy_pumpkin Posts: 33
edited February 2019 in Your road bikes
I hope this is in the right place for this post.

In short I have a question is my LBS trying to pull a fast one. I ordered a 2019 BMC RoadMachine 01 Three. They didn't have it in stock so had to bring it from their shop in another town.

When the bike arrived I went to see it and what arrived was
2018 BMC RoadMachine 01 Two Frame (https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... ne-01/two/) but it was mounted with Ultegra Di2, the groupset for the 01 Three

It also has different size chainset and cassette than is listed for the 2019. I didn't have my reading glasses when I went to see it so I have not been able to examine in detail what frankenstein bike they are trying to pass off on me. Basically I think this is the only frame they have in my size so they stuck Ultegra on it an hoped I would not notice it is a 2018 frame.

Apart from the asthetics (which make it mush much easier for my other half to pick up that I bought a new bike) is there any difference between the 2018 v 2019 frame? Any other things I should look out for?

I am presently mulling over taking my deposit back and cancelling the order as it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    its not the bike you wanted so cancel order, get deposit back, show middle finger and go to a proper bike shop that won't try to rip you off.

we can't really see why you would do anything else tbh.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'm guessing Evans if its a BMC?
  • I am not in the UK....so not Evans.

Tried the nearest other BMC dealers (both 100km away in different directions) neither have it in stock and according to them no more will be produced.

Yes I agree i should tell them to get lost....but I want this bike. There is no other bike on the market that is exactly what I want.

So apart from aesthetics is there any difference?
    Apart from the asthetics (which make it mush much easier for my other half to pick up that I bought a new bike) ...

I am presently mulling over taking my deposit back and cancelling the order as it has left a bad taste in my mouth.

You're buying a £6k bike and hoping your other half doesn't notice you've done it?
  • Matthewfalle
    I am not in the UK....so not Evans.

Tried the nearest other BMC dealers (both 100km away in different directions) neither have it in stock and according to them no more will be produced.

Yes I agree i should tell them to get lost....but I want this bike. There is no other bike on the market that is exactly what I want.

why not just order it online.

no to this bike. you'll be spending 6k on something you don't want.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    Apart from the asthetics (which make it mush much easier for my other half to pick up that I bought a new bike) ...

You're buying a £6k bike and hoping your other half doesn't notice you've done it?

I could buy a 100 EUR bike and it would be the same chance of being noticed. My wife never goes to the basement where my bikes are stored, she doesn't even notice the difference between my mtb and my road bike. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing
  • I am not in the UK....so not Evans.

I don't live in the UK and Evans (the only people I can find who sell it online) won't deliver to me.....besides the fact that Evans want list price and my local shop is taking 15% off list. Local shop is also changing cassette and chainrings to the size I want. I also want to upgrade the brakes and the will only charge me the difference in components price.

I can get round the asthetics with a 200 EUR re-spray. I am just trying to ascertain if technically anything has changed.
  • Matthewfalle
    where are you?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • where are you?

Spain
  • Matthewfalle
    ¡hola!

have you spoken to evans? i've had loads of stuff sent out to me when i haven't been in britain just by calling them and asking them.

no one in britain you can get it sent to then sent on?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    its here as well and these guys will send anywhere.

https://www.racycles.com/road/bmc

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I am not in the UK....so not Evans.

I don't live in the UK and Evans (the only people I can find who sell it online) won't deliver to me.....besides the fact that Evans want list price and my local shop is taking 15% off list. Local shop is also changing cassette and chainrings to the size I want. I also want to upgrade the brakes and the will only charge me the difference in components price.

I can get round the asthetics with a 200 EUR re-spray. I am just trying to ascertain if technically anything has changed.

the 15% is also because its last years bike and then you'll spend that anyway on a respray.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • its here as well and these guys will send anywhere.

https://www.racycles.com/road/bmc
    . I will have to pay VAT at 21% to import to Europe so make no sense at that orice
  • So I check all the links above and they all want list price (7k EUR or more when currency converted).

I can get it for sub 6k at a shop in Spain....just need to travel a few hundred km.

I got to the bottom of the story...I had physically seen the 2019 in my size at the other shop in the big town....but they tried to pull a fast one. In between me putting down the deposit and it getting down to the local shop in my town (whilst awaiting a different chainset to be ordered and fitted) someone else came in looking for the same bike. They sold him my bike then tried to pull a fast on by taking the fixtures and fittings from 2019 bigger frame and putting on 2018 frame.

However they got a bit lazy and I realised that the handlebars were also 2018. There may have been other components but I stopped looking when I realised this.

R&A have a price differential of about 2k on the 2018 v 2019. So there is no way I would pay the same price for the 2018 that I agreed for 2019.

Regardless of what the right price is there is no way I would deal with this guy...all trust is lost. If he had come clean and said actually here is the 2018 maybe we could do a re-spray etc...but to think I would not notice is ridiculous.
    I think he thought because my Spanish is not perfect that somehow I am dumb!

anyway moving on....hopefully I can find one quickly so that I can get training for 312 on it. No way I am taking a new bike onky 1 month before doing that monster
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    Try Christophe at bikepoint tenerife. I’m sure he could sort something for you. He might be able to get it shipped direct from BMC.