How to start with zwift?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
So I have a basic turbo trainer. The bike hut one from Halfords. But I am Interested in zwift and think it would make the rainy days and the late night training alot more fun . What do I actually need and is it worth it? I would be using it on either my iPad or my laptop.

Is it just a Bluetooth speed sensors and the monthly subscription? Or is there more than that?

Thank you

Comments

• Yeah Bluetooth speed and cadence sensor, you get 25km for free then have to pay 12.99a month that’s it
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Also bear in you will need the equivalent of a gaming pc to run zwift properly a £250 laptop won't cut it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out if your iPad or laptop can work with it.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/what-ar ... -B1P10kWrQ

Plenty of videos about it on YouTube too.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Also bear in you will need the equivalent of a gaming pc to run zwift properly a £250 laptop won't cut it.

Rubbish. An Apple TV box that costs 175 quid will do a better job than the vast majority of systems that folk are using out there, bar something like an Alienware box or an upper spec laptop.

https://youtu.be/6KVkjmeW6AM
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    kingrollo wrote:

Runs fine on my £250 laptop.
  • I run it on my iPhone 7 and it works fine. You really don’t need anything special if you’re not fully immersing yourself with smart trainers etc
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I run it on my iPhone 7 and it works fine. You really don’t need anything special if you’re not fully immersing yourself with smart trainers etc

Sorry I meant in terms of PC - I was taking it as a given that you would be using a smart trainer with Zwift.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There is a cracking gplama YouTube video that shows the difference between different computers and systems. Some cracking graphics available but even. On lower spec systems it's 95% as good.