Is this worth it?

Middx
Middx Posts: 43
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've been offered this 2013 S-Works Epic by an ex racer friend of mine, for £1300. The bike is almost as new and has hardly done any miles, is the price good?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-epic-carbon-29-xtr/p/37825/url]

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    If it fits you, and you want a hardcore XC race bike, it's a definite bargain. If not, you shouldn't buy it because it won't be a good bike for you.
  • Middx
    I've tried the bike it's a perfect fit and incredibly light, I was after an XC 29er full suspension. I just didn't know if compared to the more modern Epics, if the spec was really out of date for the money?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What do you want to use the bike for?
    It’s obviously great for xc racing but wouldn’t be too good for techy jump lines.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Middx
    I will be using it for xc riding and some local xc races. It's only got 2x10 XTR not 1x11/12, like modern XC bikes, and it's got quick release at the front, compared to thru axle on modern bikes, apart from that it seems not far spec wise from the modern Epics
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Then sounds Ideal, I'd be minded to convert to 1x10 out the box.

As for through axle, cheap lowers sometimes come up on Amazon and would allow you to convert.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.