This any good for my wife?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
So my wife wants to get into some light road cycling with a bike that can also cut off through parks and other light off road until aswell.

We decided on a hybrid as she does not like the feel of dropped bars. When looking we noticed this? She did not want to spend more than £400 so this dropped just under the price. Any thoughts?

For £400 and the fact she may do 150 miles a year on it it seems like a pretty good buy with the hydraulic disc brakes and light overall weight for the price. Alot of things for this price are 13kg+.

So please any thoughts? She's 5 foot 6 so should fit the medium.

https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-stit ... yDEALw_wcB

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Looks perfect for her. Hydraulic disc brakes at that price is pretty good. Also takes mudguards too.

Great. I'd go for it. Similar to my wife's Giant hybrid and she does 1000's of miles on hers.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I dont like the Altus, but other than that brakes are good, very reliable, so why not?
  • For £400, the spec and lightweight 11Kg is good for a hybrid. Gearing is quite high, 34/50 chainrings with 11-34 cassette.

Also check Voodoo Marasa at Halfords.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks man. If it's any good I literally might be tempted to get one myself for the local family park rides.
  • For £400, the spec and lightweight 11Kg is good for a hybrid. Gearing is quite high, 34/50 chainrings with 11-34 cassette.

Also check Voodoo Marasa at Halfords.

I know not everything is about weight but my father in law has the voodoo in XL and it's 14kg and you can really notice it.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-9 ... 05264.html

And there’s this. It’s a 1x drivetrain with a wide range cassette, has Hydraulic disc brakes, and comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame, for 350 quid. That’s a bargain.
  • I built a Kaffenback for my wife with flat bars, single chainring (36 ) and 9 speed cassette... hydraulic XT brakes and XT gears, all quality components for probably 600 quid overall. It weighs 11 kg and takes big tyres (maybe up to 40 mm?).

Not that she uses it a lot (euphemism) but it's a nice bike, if you like the Cappuccino coloured frame... I might even be tempted to sell it, as we cycle on the Bromptons now
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tyresome
    I built a Kaffenback for my wife with flat bars, single chainring (36 ) and 9 speed cassette... hydraulic XT brakes and XT gears, all quality components for probably 600 quid overall. It weighs 11 kg and takes big tyres (maybe up to 40 mm?).

Not that she uses it a lot (euphemism) but it's a nice bike, if you like the Cappuccino coloured frame... I might even be tempted to sell it, as we cycle on the Bromptons now

Which Bromptons have you got?
  • Tyresome wrote:
    I built a Kaffenback for my wife with flat bars, single chainring (36 ) and 9 speed cassette... hydraulic XT brakes and XT gears, all quality components for probably 600 quid overall. It weighs 11 kg and takes big tyres (maybe up to 40 mm?).

My wife has an M3L, I have an S2L
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome wrote:

My wife has an M3L, I have an S2L

Very nice bikes. So well engineered, and British too.