Mavic Yksion pro use or replace

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Just got a pair of Mavic Ksyriums 2017 non tubeless which came with Mavic pro Yksion tyres (where do Mavic get their names from??) . Are they worth keeping for using on summer bike or should I replace? Read mix reports about them cutting and puncturing easily, but not sure if this were for earlier versions of them.
Also any tips on what to replace them for? Thinking continental 4 seasons, had 4000's on a different wheel and had a blowout so not fussed about going back there. Also read decent things about Michelin Pro4 Service Course tyres, cheaper and bit more durable than the 4000's
Thoughts?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Still have them on one of my bikes and only suffered one nasty on the rear tyre.

I do feel that they seem to have a ‘dead’ feel to them compared to my other tyres, I do have some Michelin Pro4 Service Course to replace them when I get round to it.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I didn't like them. Had them on for about 2000 miles.
    Very dead feeling when compared to gp4000 that I was used to.
    But I had no cutting or punctures riding mostly in the chilterns. Maybe I was lucky.
  • Not to my liking either, I usually use Conti 4 seasons or GP4000.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Not to my liking either, I usually use Conti 4 seasons or GP4000.
    Which do you prefer?
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    Not to my liking either, I usually use Conti 4 seasons or GP4000.
    Which do you prefer?

Usually prefer to run the GP4000s, however I put 4 seasons on last September for LEJOG to get a bit more puncture protection and they are still on the bike.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Bloke in the bike shop near work loves the Yksion Pro. I swapped them for Pirelli P Zero 4S and they’ve been great so far, about 2000km.
  • Stick 'em on eBay like loads of other people do then the likes of me who really rate them can snap them up for £20/£25 a pair ......SWEET!
    Luke
  • Lucky Luke wrote:
    Stick 'em on eBay like loads of other people do then the likes of me who really rate them can snap them up for £20/£25 a pair ......SWEET!

So you think they are decent enough? Whats your review if them
  • Grippy, puncture resistant, long lasting and cheap. I've been using them for almost two years now and all in all have been very happy with them. I've the SSC version (red and yellow logos) on my best bike and the usual yellow and black on two other bikes. I first came upon them by accident by buying a second hand bike which had them on. I was a bit sceptical at first as I didn't consider Mavic to be a 'real' tyre manufacturer but as they came with the bike I thought only right to give them a go and was pleasantly surprised so I kept them on. Then a mate of mine bought some new Mavic wheels but wanted to run his usual Contis on them so I bought them off him and put his tyres on my winter bike. I've now got them on all three of my road bikes. Tyre choice is a personal thing in my opinion and you need to have confidence in your tyres if not you're not going to enjoy your ride as much so I can't fault anyone wanting to stick with what they're used to but from trying them as I say 'by accident' I've been very happy with them.
    Luke
  • I posted on another thread about these. I think they're great as well. I've been running the SSC clincher version since 2013 on RSYS SLRs and I'm sorry Lucky Luke, but I hunt them down on here and on eBay too ;-) I've got a spare set ready to go when the current set wear out. I'm also running a tubular set on my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SLs which were superb in the Alps last summer. I've had zero issues in the wet and they're all 25mm.
  • I posted on another thread about these. I think they're great as well. I've been running the SSC clincher version since 2013 on RSYS SLRs and I'm sorry Lucky Luke, but I hunt them down on here and on eBay too ;-) I've got a spare set ready to go when the current set wear out. I'm also running a tubular set on my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SLs which were superb in the Alps last summer. I've had zero issues in the wet and they're all 25mm.

Maybe we should keep quiet about them. Before we know it we'll both be paying normal tyre prices! :-)
    Luke
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    had them on some cosmics in 2017 and whilst they are grippy/more punctureproof than a few purer race tyres, they aren't particularly nice to ride.
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    The Michelins are very good.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    Any idea who make the tyres for Mavic? Most probably their spec but made by a third party.

See this review:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ ... res-24159/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Any idea who make the tyres for Mavic? Most probably their spec but made by a third party.

See this review:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ ... res-24159/

Not sure who the original far eastern manufacturer was, possibly Kenda - but now made by Hutchinson, I believe.

https://bikerumor.com/2013/08/23/mavic- ... rtnership/
  • Mavic tyres are made by Hutchinson.
    I’ve just got some new Mavic wheels with the Yksion Pro UST fitted and I’m liking them so far.
    Certainly will ride them more and give them a fair trial before changing.
    A big improvement on the Yksion Elite I had on another pair of wheels.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Mavic tyres are made by Hutchinson.
    I’ve just got some new Mavic wheels with the Yksion Pro UST fitted and I’m liking them so far.
    Certainly will ride them more and give them a fair trial before changing.

Same here. Came with the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels and I can't find fault with them. Have been ultra reliable, went on easily and inflated with a foot pump. No iffy moments cornering or in the wet.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I got recently got some Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels with 25mm Pro UST tyres. Well it says 25mm on the tyres but they are not 25. Inflated they are less than 23mm wide and about 23 high. bicyclerollingresistance.com recons they are 27 wide and 24 high. How do yours measure up? I know rim width will make a difference but I have some Michelin Pro4 SC 25mm that are 29mm wide . Same size tyres but huge difference .
  • Tyresome

To be fair a stripe of toothpaste would be an improvement on the Yksion Elites.
  • The UST version is completely different to the non-UST version. Like somebody above said the UST version is made by Hutchinson and are excellent tyres. The original non-UST yksion are puncture magnets if our cycle clubs experience is anything to go by.
  • velokev wrote:
    The UST version is completely different to the non-UST version. Like somebody above said the UST version is made by Hutchinson and are excellent tyres. The original non-UST yksion are puncture magnets if our cycle clubs experience is anything to go by.

Even the the non UST Yskion pro ones? I know the old elites get a bad rep, but thought the pro's were better
  • They are.
  • Tyresome
    I managed to completely wreck my rear wheel on Saturday, so I ordered a new one, but didn’t check the spec carefully enough.

P4lgpSx.jpg

Hmmm something looks different.

70tIKL4.jpg

Hang on a minute, what’s in the box?

xZprx3T.jpg

Oh nuts, it’s tubeless. :shock:

However, I got one of these, and thought I’d give it one last chance to not be rubbish.

Om5edGG.jpg

As sure as eggs are eggs, within 10 miles I got a chunk of pointy sharp stuff in the tyre, it defeated the sealant, and down it went, however the Anchovie seems to have worked. It’s holding pressure, and doesn’t feel like I’m riding with a 50 pence coin stuck to the tyre. I’ll have to see how it fairs over the next few hundred miles.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nobody believes you, Nick - I think you're making this up. All those pics, and not one showing the 'repair'... :roll:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Imposter wrote:
    Nobody believes you, Nick - I think you're making this up. All those pics, and not one showing the 'repair'... :roll:

So much "experience" yet orders completely the wrong wheel and doesn't immediately notice. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.