I would like a SingleSpeed bike

blackstar500
blackstar500 Posts: 139
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Searched already but could not find anything .. This forum is more geared towards bike with gears

Any Ideas what I could get with a budget of about just under £500 ( can go up if my budget is not realistic) . what is difference between a fixed gear and a freewheel, which is better ? Would like something that would take mudguards, tyres up to 28 , ideally with dropbars ..

Is it better to build from scratch or ready made

Please help me find something ..

Comments

• cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Searched already but could not find anything .. This forum is more geared towards bike with gears

Any Ideas what I could get with a budget of about just under £500 ( can go up if my budget is not realistic) . what is difference between a fixed gear and a freewheel, which is better ? Would like something that would take mudguards, tyres up to 28 , ideally with dropbars ..

Is it better to build from scratch or ready made

Please help me find something ..

Probably best looking on ebay/gumtree in your area.
    Fixed = if the wheel is turning so are your legs
    Freewheel = wheel can move without you having to pedal (eg downhill)
    Which is better - Whichever you like best! Personally would go for one with a 'flip-flop' hub which allows you to have one side fixed, one freewheel so you can have the option of both.
    I love riding fixed in summer and spring but am too scared to with potholes, debris etc on the roads in winter so will swap it to single speed once the weather deteriorates.
  • you can convert any bike to single speed for not much money... basically you need a chain tensioner, then you can start removing parts.
    left the forum March 2023
  • https://www.evanscycles.com/cinelli-tip ... gKPGPD_BwE

No large left tho. depends on ur size.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I have been searching for alloy single speed frameset online ( Max spend about £250) without any luck but I do notice that there are a lot more frames made out of Steel in my price category . .. Is Steel better for singlespeed bike or is it a price thing
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I have been searching for alloy single speed frameset online ( Max spend about £250) without any luck but I do notice that there are a lot more frames made out of Steel in my price category . .. Is Steel better for singlespeed bike or is it a price thing

Dolan FXE frameset, currently at £235 or thereabouts. Steel is not better, or worse, but mainly depends on budget and tubing type.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's an unforgiving ride - particularly on a fixie where you can't shift the weight around like you would on a freewheel bike.
    Perhaps that plays into steel's strengths over alu.? You're also less likely to be doing long climbs so weight's less of an issue.

My Langster is alu. with a carbon fork, goes like a train (when the engine is in good fettle).
  • Cheap second hand road bike frame and convert it to a single speed?
  • Please I would like your opinions on this bike or Seller

https://www.santafixie.co.uk/santafixie ... cycle.html
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Please I would like your opinions on this bike or Seller

Is it road legal? I cannot see any brakes, so that's extra expense for a start.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Carl_P wrote:
    Please I would like your opinions on this bike or Seller

Is it road legal? I cannot see any brakes, so that's extra expense for a start.

According to the description... Brakes are supplied