LEJOG on a Brompton, any record?

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited February 2019 in Commuting chat
OT I know... but since it's a commuter bike, maybe this is the right place to ask

Are you aware of a LEJOG on a Brompton or similar small wheeled folder faster than 8 days? In other words, is this the "record"?

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=50504
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Don't know if there is a record but a friend of mine did it in 12 days on a brompton. He also then went out and bought a road bike and swore never to do long distances on the brompton again!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel wrote:
    Don't know if there is a record but a friend of mine did it in 12 days on a brompton. He also then went out and bought a road bike and swore never to do long distances on the brompton again!

Ha ha... the appeal for Lejog is not having to ferry a normal bike on the long string of trains one needs to head back home (4 trains in my case)

I got wind there might be an Audax version of LeJog next year... which means 4-5 days... so that would be a record, if done on a Brompton... which could be appealing... :wink:
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    menthel wrote:

Ha ha... the appeal for Lejog is not having to ferry a normal bike on the long string of trains one needs to head back home (4 trains in my case)

I got wind there might be an Audax version of LeJog next year... which means 4-5 days... so that would be a record, if done on a Brompton... which could be appealing... :wink:

Yep, the Hummers end to end looks fairly brutal.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It seems fairly unlikely that would be the fastest anyone has ever done it on a brompton/folding bike - for context, the unicycle record is 6 days 8 hours (2 speed gearboxes, 36 inch wheels) - and the nearly hundred year old penny farthing record is 5 days 10 hours.

Still, it sounds a pretty ambitious target for most of us, and in the absence of a record documented anywhere else you could certainly make a fair claim at the record if you did beat that time.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    It seems fairly unlikely that would be the fastest anyone has ever done it on a brompton/folding bike - for context, the unicycle record is 6 days 8 hours (2 speed gearboxes, 36 inch wheels) - and the nearly hundred year old penny farthing record is 5 days 10 hours.

I know, if someone put their head into it, they could do it in 50 hours, but as things stand there is no evidence anywhere of a faster one... if it's not on the internet, it never happened... :wink:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    There's a Fastest Known Time website that I came across. I thought it might have something useful in it :-(

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/jogle-lejog-uk
  • I have provisionally updated Wikipedia... if someone knows better, they will amend it and we will be al wiser :-)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    From Wikipedia: Several cyclists completed the route on folding bicycles. The fastest reported completion of LEJOG on 16 inch wheel Brompton bicycles is currently that of Si Trickett and Stephen Brindle, between 22-29 April 2011. - ie the one you referenced at the top of the thread.

I'd give Brompton a shout; it's the sort of thing they're keen on, and they'd have kept records of any fast rides they heard about.

I think you're mad, but then I think all audaxers are mad. Hope you decide to go for it, good luck!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    From Wikipedia: Several cyclists completed the route on folding bicycles. The fastest reported completion of LEJOG on 16 inch wheel Brompton bicycles is currently that of Si Trickett and Stephen Brindle, between 22-29 April 2011. - ie the one you referenced at the top of the thread.

Yes, I have added that bit... :oops:
  • TGOTB wrote:
    I think you're mad, but then I think all audaxers are mad. Hope you decide to go for it, good luck!

I'm half way there, in the sense that I do have a Brompton... :lol:

A few stars need to align in 2020, but it's the kind of thing that would excite me... I am going to do another Super Randonneur series this year (a hilly one, so no folding!), but I can't see myself going on doing the same thing year on year

Obviously someone next spring will do it in 55 hours and put a lid to any ambition... :roll:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Obviously someone next spring will do it in 55 hours and put a lid to any ambition... :roll:
    Just don't mention it on the internet so others get hold of your idea :wink:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Just don't mention it on the internet so others get hold of your idea :wink:

There is that risk... on the other hand, I wouldn't want to go around waving a 100 hour flag, just to find out that someone had done it in 60 three years before.
    There needs to be some kind of internet consensus about what the challenge is and what "record" is to be challenged...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    There is that risk... on the other hand, I wouldn't want to go around waving a 100 hour flag, just to find out that someone had done it in 60 three years before.
    Now that would be annoying.
  • W12 lad wrote:
    Brilliant idea!
    I won't be joining you mate :)

well, we have talked about this already... you will be on your usual bike and I will draft you all the way, which would make a nice change to our Audax routine... :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you could speak to the Guinness book of records and pay for them to officially ratify your attempt. It will cost you though.
  • cougie wrote:
    I think you could speak to the Guinness book of records and pay for them to officially ratify your attempt. It will cost you though.

If I was aiming for 50 hours, then I would... but realistically, if this was to become Guinness Record material, someone WOULD do it in 50 hours before I can even put together a 100 hours attempt... :lol:

That said, I might have a Guinness in JoG if I ever make it there and find a pub :wink:
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    W12 lad wrote:
    Brilliant idea!
    I won't be joining you mate :)

well, we have talked about this already... you will be on your usual bike and I will draft you all the way, which would make a nice change to our Audax routine... :wink:

Ha. You wouldn't be able to do it.
    I reckon you would last about 10 minutes on my wheel before you would have to go in front!
    You can't help yourself :lol:
  • sadly true...