Buying Voodoo Mambo

Garyj881
Garyj881 Posts: 6
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
I'm after some advice about buying a new bike.

I called into Halfords this weekend gone with the aim of looking at the Voodoo Bizango. I know it's well specced for the price, just wanted to confirm which size would be best as I fit in the middle of 18" & 20" sized Frame being 5-9.

The particular Halfords didn't have the Bizango in the store but did have the Mambo in which looks slightly better spec and was discounted to £650.

I am looking at ordering this week but just wanted to confirm it's a good bike and a sound buy.

I only need a HT bike, and when searching for reviews on the Mambo there isn't much to go on.

I'll join the BC too to get some extra discount brining it close to £600 all in.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Links will help you get answers.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Mambo is heavy at 14.2kg vs stated 12.7 for Bizango. Though I got a Bizango last week in 18inch and it weighed in at 13.3kg (but that's including pedals, relectors, bell etc). Mambo is more of a fatbike with 2.8inch tyres though, so not directly comparable with a non-fat 29er.

Mambo isn't showing discounted online, so could be a decent deal - apart from the weight, spec wise it is comparable with the Bizango. Tapered steerer, 27.5+ tyres, Recon fork are the main differences.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Personally, I'd go for the Bizango. The difference in weight is a big thing for me and noticeable when riding (and going up hills). It's a good spec and gets good reviews.

As for sizing - at 5`10" my HT is 18" and my FS is a `large` 19" and a bit slacker. I'm not sure if 20" would be a bit big. I can''t be sure as reach and stack influence bike fit a lot more than just frame size.

I'd hold out for a Bizango - try both sizes . Most stores should be able to get them in for you to try. Well they should if they want the sale!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'm 5ft8 and the 18inch Bizango feels comfortable for me, btw.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ive got the voodoo hoodoo, im 5ft 10, got long arms and legs and i went for the large 20 inch model and seems fine. All my other bikes are large between 19-20inch.
  • I think I'll be fine with the 18” I'll go for that.

Cheers.