Trek Crockett 1x Shimano

awesterhoff
awesterhoff Posts: 15
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello :D

I'm looking to buy a Trek Crockett as a cyclocross rig for the colder seasons. But I'm a little in doubt about the 1x setup on a Trek or any other bike for that matter.

I want to do a 1x Shimano setup so I have the opportunity to change the crankset and add a front derailleur if it's needed for adventure travels in the future. I know that is not possible with SRAM unless I go with eTap.
Below is the following components, will they work together or is mechanical 1x Shimano not possible? I know that Di2 is, but the budget just isn't there at the moment, plus I would hate to change 250-300€ Di2 derailleur whenever a crash happens :roll:

– Trek Crockett 2019 Frameset
– Shimano Ultegra ST-R8020 Levers
– Shimano Ultegra BR-R8070 Hydraulic Disc Brakes (Flat Mount)
– Sram Force 1 GXP Crankset 172,5mm 42 ratio
– Shimano Ultegra RX RD-RX800-GS Shadow RD+ Rear Derailleur
– Shimano CS-HG800 Cassette 11-34

Does anybody run around the same setup and have any feedback they want to share? And is it even possible?
I'm also a little in doubt about the chain – what to buy? Isn't the SRAM Force 1 crankset using a special kind of teeth?

I will most likely change the chainring on the SRAM Force 1 to a Wolf Tooth or similar and only keep the crank arms. Throughout the season, I might buy a Wolf Tooth Roadlink for the possibility to run a larger cassette.

I'm looking forward to any help and recommendations, thanks!

– Alex

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I can’t help thinking that you’re over complicating this a bit. Running 1x on any bike can just be as simple as removing the front mech and running a narrow/wide ring on whatever chain set you already have.