Recharge Garmin 520 on the move...

domcarr
domcarr Posts: 85
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Hi all. I'm doing a long all-day ride in the summer (220 miles) and am trying to find out how I can recharge my Garmin 520 whilst on the move. I don't want to set up a dynamo. Amny advice gratefully received. Thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just use a power bank and plug it in as you go. I've seen that said to work.
  • cougie wrote:

the problem is, I think the Garmin assumes you are loading data when you plug something, so doesn't charge...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you tried it from a power bank ? Not a PC or the mains.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Powerbank in a top tube bag should be fine. Give it a go, if it wont charge it might be worth a try using a charging only cable (not a data transfer one). Cheap as chips on ebay.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    AFAIK - The issue isn't with it not charging - it's with it going into PC/USB mode - and not recording your ride.
    It should be ok with a powerbank - but you may struggle to use a laptop to charge it whilst on the move.

I think for such an epic ride - I'd want to carry a spare Garmin - just in case ... you don't want to lose the ride stats!
  • domcarr wrote:
    cougie wrote:

the problem is, I think the Garmin assumes you are loading data when you plug something, so doesn't charge...

Yes, you need a special cable, can't remember the name, but basically it is a USB with fewer connectors, which only charges without alterting your Garmin that it's been plugged in...

EDIT: something like this might just do the trick

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T0DW3F8/ ... 0993755272
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    How long is it going to take? I got a 17.5 hour ride out of a Garmin 500 (which you can't recharge on the go).
  • joe2008 wrote:
    How long is it going to take? I got a 17.5 hour ride out of a Garmin 500 (which you can't recharge on the go).

fail to prepare...

If you are going over 10 hours, it is safe to have some way to recharge the battery. One would also assume that if the OP is doing 220 miles, he might need navigation... he probably is not, after all, out chasing obscure KOMs close to home... :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Charge the Garmin when you stop for cake etc. Stop the Garmin but don't save the ride then power it down and plug in powerbank.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • joe2008 wrote:
    The 520 has a significantly less run time than the 500, about 5 hours if you are using navigation, it was the main reason that I held off upgrading my 500 until Wahoo released the Elmnt Bolt. I think the new 520 plus has fixed this.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bit drastic I know but if you are unable to find a suitable solution then sell the 520 and get the 1030 as that has a specific garmin battery charge/ boost pack.
  • It's all OTT, all you need is the right connector, I have one that I use for Audax events longer than 200 km. I bought it on Amazon a couple of years ago so can't quite point to a link, but basically it's what is commonly referred to as a USB condom
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    joe2008 wrote:
    The 520 has a significantly less run time than the 500, about 5 hours if you are using navigation, it was the main reason that I held off upgrading my 500 until Wahoo released the Elmnt Bolt. I think the new 520 plus has fixed this.

Fair enough, I was't aware that they downgraded the brilliant 500 :wink:
  • joe2008 wrote:

Its 220 miles, so somewhere around 15 hours I reckon
  • It's all OTT, all you need is the right connector, I have one that I use for Audax events longer than 200 km. I bought it on Amazon a couple of years ago so can't quite point to a link, but basically it's what is commonly referred to as a USB condom

got it - thanks all