Ultegra R8000 Chain Ring with 9100 Crank

paddy_pumpkin
paddy_pumpkin Posts: 33
edited February 2019 in Workshop
I have ordered a new bike which has I believe Ultegra 8000 Groupset

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... -01/three/

I want to get a power meter and found a good offer for a Stages right crank power meter...but mounted on Dura Ace R9100 crank. Can anyone tell me will the Dura Ace crank be compatible with my Ultegra Chain rings? Will the colours match? Do you recommend to change the left crank also to Dura Ace...if so why?

https://www.mantel.com/es/medidor-de-po ... RkQAvD_BwE

Comments

• You can pick up an R8000 left crank for less and it will match perfectly. Slightly easier to swap between bikes too. There is a slight difference in the finish so it won’t quite match your existing chainset.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    As above the finish is different and probably won't look right. My ocd definitely wouldn't take it. Why not buy a left crank if you're only having one side? Have you considered something like the powertap Pedals? I paid 530 for dual sided ones and can swap between bikes in minutes.
  • You can pick up an R8000 left crank for less and it will match perfectly. Slightly easier to swap between bikes too. There is a slight difference in the finish so it won’t quite match your existing chainset.

I wanted find a right side power meter so I could fit it on day one. I am unable to confirm the gap between cranks and frame as I physically haven't seen the bike. The bike is on order as I can't find a shop within 500km that physically has the bike I want in stock. I have written to BMC twice...but they don't reply! So I guess it will be a left side crank once I physically see the bike.
  • Zeee wrote:
    As above the finish is different and probably won't look right. My ocd definitely wouldn't take it. Why not buy a left crank if you're only having one side? Have you considered something like the powertap Pedals? I paid 530 for dual sided ones and can swap between bikes in minutes.

Yeah pedals is by far the easiest way to go but I prefer to wear MTB shoes so that I can walk better. I have had two incidents in the past year where I have ended up walking. Once a tyre blow out where no phone signal and not a car for 45 mins, dead end road to a small village on Tuesday during siesta! Second time was an out and back along the coast...the wind was coming from the land side so it was fine as I was sheltered by the land on the way out, but on the way back I was on the edge of the cliff top and being blown all over. Had to walk for safety.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103

Yeah pedals is by far the easiest way to go but I prefer to wear MTB shoes so that I can walk better. I have had two incidents in the past year where I have ended up walking. Once a tyre blow out where no phone signal and not a car for 45 mins, dead end road to a small village on Tuesday during siesta! Second time was an out and back along the coast...the wind was coming from the land side so it was fine as I was sheltered by the land on the way out, but on the way back I was on the edge of the cliff top and being blown all over. Had to walk for safety.

Ah OK makes sense.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    I have ordered a new bike which has I believe Ultegra 8000 Groupset

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... -01/three/

I want to get a power meter and found a good offer for a Stages right crank power meter...but mounted on Dura Ace R9100 crank. Can anyone tell me will the Dura Ace crank be compatible with my Ultegra Chain rings? Will the colours match? Do you recommend to change the left crank also to Dura Ace...if so why?

https://www.mantel.com/es/medidor-de-po ... RkQAvD_BwE

No the rings aren't compatible. I had a R8000 chainset but got a good deal on ebay for a DA R9100 crank (left & right!) thinking that the R8000 chainrings would fit but they don't. Ended up buying a set of DA chainrings!!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • Perfect thanks