Just a real world weigh in - Bizango and Maji

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Just for the searchable records here, brought home a 18in frame Bizango and an 18in frame Voodoo Maji, both 2018 models.

Bizango weighed in a 13.3kg (website says 12,7kg), Maji weighed 14.1kg (website says 13.9kg). Both bikes loaded with all gubbins (reflectors, stock pedals, bell) etc.
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    weights claimed will be without pedals and gubbins.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Certainly most websites say without pedals which will usually be 300-400g.

As they don't say 'without gubbins' they should be included, that said as they usually quote a single weight, some will use a mid sized frame (fair) or the smallest (to game the system).

There is no industry standard for how to claim a bike weight which is why Giant say they don't quote weights so as not to other 'cheat' or have a disadvantage by not 'cheating'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Halfords doesn't caveat their weight in any way, but I've never really understood the "without pedals" disclaimer anyway - what's so special about pedals that they get removed in a weigh in? Isn't that note for those retailers who actively sell bikes without pedals? For Halfords / Decathlon etc as they sell the bike with pedals the weight logically should include them?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Most bike shops sell budget bikes with cheap pedals because their customers won't have any pedals of their own. As their customers become more experienced they tend to have a preference for a specific pedal and may even spend a lot of money on a pair. Initially, the retailers reacted by putting even cheaper pedals on because they knew they would be most probably thrown away. Now they don't bother. Also, they can't tell in advance whether the buyer would prefer SPDs or flats!
  • larkim
    Yep, all well and good. But they also put cheap tyres on, cheap grips, cheap inner tubes etc, but they don't discard those in weight measurements. Singling out pedals as the only "user preference" item in a weight contest just seems a little peculiar.
  • larkim wrote:
    Yep, all well and good. But they also put cheap tyres on, cheap grips, cheap inner tubes etc, but they don't discard those in weight measurements. Singling out pedals as the only "user preference" item in a weight contest just seems a little peculiar.

I'm not surprised as soon as someone doesn't supply pedals and so can claim a weight advantage they were all pretty much forced to not include pedal weight. I'm even less surprised about not including the weight of the bell, reflectors etc. That's like a legal requirement in this country but may not be required in all countries. I have a Carrera bike that is a bit lighter than their stated weight but maybe Halfords like to claim those are heavier so people pay more for the Voodoo bikes.

I was looking at the Voodoo bikes in Halfords just a few days ago. Gorgeous bikes for such low money. They were well stocked on the Voodoo bikes but the cheaper Carrera bike range was missing many models that are listed online so guess this year's variants are incoming.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pedals are an oddity, the cheapest bikes get the cheapest pedals, then as they get a little more expensive the pedals get a bit better, then as they get even more expensive the pedals get cheaper again as they are more likely to be ridden by more experienced riders who will have distinct preferences. Boardman tried to do away with pedals completely but as the C2W bikes must be complete I think they've added them back on now, for a while the stores were just adding a cheap set from the shelves.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.