I have a chance to return my bike...what should I be looking at?

2»

Comments

• Joe Totale wrote:
    A good bit of advice I feel is to buy a decent bike that has the potential to be converted into a winter/commuter bike a few years down the line if you take a shine to road cycling and decide to save up for something snazzier.

In that case something like the Triban would be a good shout as it can take wide tyres, has mudguard mounts and has disc brakes. All things that the Calibre bike doesn't have.

If you get the Triban instead then don't spend a penny on it on wheels and stuff, just ride it. The money saved should go towards the new bike or if you don't actually like road cycling then spend it on the kids.

Ita just the triban 520 with the discs is actually a fair bit more heavier than the calibre. Don't want to upgrade to heavier reay
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Man stop posting here and just RIDE. Thats the best upgrade that you can do. Fell in love with the sport, put miles on your legs, and after a year or so, you will be able to answer your questions by your self.
  • Have you budgeted for clip less pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing? Cycling can be a money put of you let it
    Get the triban, ride it and stop worrying about upgrades
  • You have a bike. You have a young family. One of these is far more important and worth worrying about.

Ride the bike you have. Enjoy getting out in the road. Spend the money you’ve saved on days out with the kids.
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    Have you budgeted for clip less pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing? Cycling can be a money put of you let it
    Get the triban, ride it and stop worrying about upgrades

I already have all this stuff
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Interesting read here about the GO range of bikes:

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/16 ... ibre-range

FWIW I have an Alu Defy that had Sora groupset. Rode it for three years with no issues at all. Everything from Club rides on Sundays to 100 mile sportives etc. Never missed a beat. Square taper bottom bracket is bomb proof. Shifting is as sweet as a nut. I keep it very clean, well maintained and lubricated. Recently upgraded groupset to 105 as Black Friday had some really good deals and my winter commuter has 105 and I liked the range of gears it had. I liked the Giant geometry so decided to do the upgrade. Not a huge amount of difference TBH. A bit smoother. A bit sleeker. A bit tidier. Admittedly nicer to look at too.

The main thing is - are you comfortable on your bike for long hours? Does it work well? Does it shift OK. Do the brakes work?

If yes, then just get out there and ride the bloody thing man!! Don't care what others say. Life is too short for that.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Bike snobbery is a *itch.

If you ride solo keep what you have and save for your next (N+1) bike demoting the current to winter bike.

If you ride with folks who are a bit bitchy about your current bike, keep it and get really fit/fast and leave them in your wake. They will soon shut up. As someone insignificant once said "It's not about the bike".

Meantime keep saving for that piece of exotica which you want but won't get for £700.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Bike snobbery is a *itch.

If you ride solo keep what you have and save for your next (N+1) bike demoting the current to winter bike.

If you ride with folks who are a bit bitchy about your current bike, keep it and get really fit/fast and leave them in your wake. They will soon shut up. As someone insignificant once said "It's not about the bike".

Meantime keep saving for that piece of exotica which you want but won't get for £700.

this.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    YiannisM wrote:
    Man stop posting here and just RIDE. Thats the best upgrade that you can do. Fell in love with the sport, put miles on your legs, and after a year or so, you will be able to answer your questions by your self.

and this.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    OP you need to forget about the groupset and wheels to start with. 105 is great but there is nothing wrong with tiagra, sora or claris. All work well.

IF you decide to take the bike you bought back then concentrate on finding a bike with the best frame you can afford and is the correct size for you. If that comes with Claris so be it, a quality frame means you can upgrade other parts (groupset and wheels) later when you have funds, whereas if you get a bike with a better groupset but a inferior frame you would have a significantly more expensive outlay to upgrade in the future.
  • So took the bike back and bought this

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-900-a ... IbEALw_wcB

Pick it up tommorrow. They are putting a 110 stem on for me and gatorskin 28mmm tyres front and back thrown in. Any thoughts?

I am just over 6 foot 2 with inside leg if 33.5 so even though they only had XL frame in it should be fine. But the 130mm stem it comes with just seemed a little too long.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Gatorskins are not great tyres, they don’t grip well. I find I loose traction when riding out of the saddle uphill. They feel a bit like a tractor tyre without the grip.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Gatorskins are not great tyres, they don’t grip well. I find I loose traction when riding out of the saddle uphill. They feel a bit like a tractor tyre without the grip.

Agree, I'd rather use the Mavic tyres that come with the bike and you'll save some cash.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Agree, I'd rather use the Mavic tyres that come with the bike and you'll save some cash.

I hate punctures and have used gatorskin on my previous bike for 6 months with no puncture. Maybe you could tell me if there is any faster rolling puncture resistance tyre I should look into?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just seen your other post - that rocks. nice buy that man!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bongofish wrote:
    I hate punctures and have used gatorskin on my previous bike for 6 months with no puncture. Maybe you could tell me if there is any faster rolling puncture resistance tyre I should look into?

If Gatorskins work for you, in your area, then keep using them. No sense in changing.
  • Which gooutdoors have you took the other one back to, now it is used should be down to about £250.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Bongofish wrote:
    So took the bike back and bought this

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-900-a ... IbEALw_wcB

Pick it up tommorrow. They are putting a 110 stem on for me and gatorskin 28mmm tyres front and back thrown in. Any thoughts?

I am just over 6 foot 2 with inside leg if 33.5 so even though they only had XL frame in it should be fine. But the 130mm stem it comes with just seemed a little too long.

Stop asking peoples' opinion. Someone will make a negative comment and you'll be sending this back.......

Ride and enjoy.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Im with the others on this. Just ride it. My first road bike in my 40s (had one in my 20s but Mistress S Artois won that battle) was a second hand aluminium Defy 2 for £175 off eBay with Sora group set and wheels (about as much detail as I can give on those), went with no issues at all as long as I cleaned and oiled regularly. Aldi clothing for the winter and i was happy as Larry, whoever he is. Just enjoy it, learn how to replace bits and then build a bling bike as a project over a year. If you are not out riding, you can spend hours scouring second hand bits on ebay, the missus will love it!
    The final step will be turning your living room into a bike workshop if you don't have a garage.
    Just ride, get fit and most of all enjoy!