Buying a Used Planet X Bike; advice needed

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi

I found this bike for sale, I am quite a newbie, It looks like a good bike for the price and I would go see it in person.

Here is the bike:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/plan ... 1328583357

What are your thoughts people?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Decent bike. I don't think it's full ultegra ? Check the chainset and calipers but if it's in good condition and fits you it would be worth a punt.

How tall are you - what's your inside leg ?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Laurynas wrote:
    Hi

I found this bike for sale, I am quite a newbie, It looks like a good bike for the price and I would go see it in person.

Here is the bike:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/plan ... 1328583357

What are your thoughts people?

Reasonable at that price if the condition is good. Planet X Pro Carbon by the looks of things. I have one that I built up from a frame and IMHO it's a great bike if maybe a little dated by today's standards. Does benefit from a threaded bottom bracket and external cabling so very easy to maintain and service.

Just be aware that the seller has indicated that a Large is equivalent to a 58cm frame. Its actually closer in size to a 56cm frame. Geometry details are below

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFF ... d-frameset

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and the Large is perfect for me.
  • Thanks for the replies my inside leg is around 90cm and my height is around 190cm.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,872
    I used to have one, it was my first road bike until it got nicked. I'm 5'11" and the large felt about right for me so you'd probably be on the upper limit but I guess you'll see when you sit on it.

I thought it was great, but like I say I didn't really have any basis for comparison. I'd say that the price is good as long as it's in decent condition.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    planet x pro carbon - good bikes, nothing wrong with them.

check the price vs a new one as they are brilliant bargains from new.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I was thinking if the standover is good then I'll buy.
    Seat and stem can always be adjusted.

As I said I am quite new to this so I am just reading some stuff online to help me. :D

I did look at bike fit prices and they are too expensive some charge almost the price of the bike. :o
  • Yep it's a PX SL Pro. I have one........I've ridden it 8 months of the year for the last 8 or 9 years.
    As mentioned, by todays standards the thing's a bit dated but my bike weighs 7Kg's so you can get a light bike for not much money.
    Im 5ft11in and ride the size medium.....32inseam measurement.
    Buy it, offer a cheekier price though! :wink:
  • Doesn't look like an ultegra chainset to me, calipers probably also just shimano branded, not uletgra