Any Shimano RC7 2019 shoe owners?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
I have wide feet and have only ever worn Sidi's Mega shoes which are fine but I'd like to try something different. I like the look of the new Shimano RC7's and they come in a wide fit but reviews are thin on the ground. The two I have read both mention that the tongue is quite long and digs into the top of your foot. Has anyone else experienced that? Another minor complaint was the Boa dials don't let you release tension one click at a time so if you over tighten you have to release fully and start again but I'm not sure how annoying that is in practice.

I'll probably end up ordering some and trying them on myself but would be good to hear from anyone else that owns a pair.

Comments

• John77
    John77 Posts: 43
    I too would be interested to hear of people's experiences with the RC7 2019 as they're on my shortlist for new shoes. In relation to your question about the Boa dials, my old Specialized Expert shoes have the same set up and I always liked the way they worked. I've tried on a few shoes recently that release the tension one click at a time and that particular feature doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as releasing all the tension before re-tightening.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    me too, my fiziks are wearing out, so am looking at these.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    When I first tried the RC7 (old model) I thought I would have the same issue but I think it was due to overtightening the boa's. In any case with use overtime the material gets softer so the tongue never bothered me. Just make sure it's the correct size (I hear Shimano has gone a little smaller on their sizes compared to older models) and my guess is they will be fine.
  • I see this newer model has two boa adjusters, versus one on the old. I wonder if it has a more durable section around the toes, because when I thought about ordering the old model, I came across comments about the front scuffing very easily.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    I have wide feet and have only ever worn Sidi's Mega shoes which are fine but I'd like to try something different. I like the look of the new Shimano RC7's and they come in a wide fit but reviews are thin on the ground. The two I have read both mention that the tongue is quite long and digs into the top of your foot. Has anyone else experienced that? Another minor complaint was the Boa dials don't let you release tension one click at a time so if you over tighten you have to release fully and start again but I'm not sure how annoying that is in practice.

I'll probably end up ordering some and trying them on myself but would be good to hear from anyone else that owns a pair.

There's an in-depth comparison on Cyclingtips that might help https://cyclingtips.com/2018/12/shimano-s-phyre-rc901-vs-rc701-road-footwear-review/

• There's an in-depth comparison on Cyclingtips that might help https://cyclingtips.com/2018/12/shimano-s-phyre-rc901-vs-rc701-road-footwear-review/

Cheers. I think they definitely seem worth a try. It's nice to see a good looking shoe with boas that comes in a wide fit and doesn't break the bank.