back to MTB, need advice please

leontheprof
leontheprof Posts: 5
edited February 2019 in MTB buying advice
Greetings to the community, i want to get back to MTB after nearly 7 years of inactivity. I have a Specialized Pitch Comp 150 travel and i used to do all kinds of MTB, rocks, trails, a bit of everything. Now that i want to start again i see that the whole scene has changed a lot, no more 26ers, and that's a bit disappointing.
Anyway, after doing some research, i think i have some options.
First option is that i keep my old 26" Pitch and start upgrading with better fork cause the current one feels "tired"(non tapered), servicing the shock, upgrading to tubeless etc. That all will cost a bit and i dont know if i should invest in upgrading my bike that is not in a today's standards.
Second option is to sell it, probably to a close friend of mine who wants to start the hobby, after of course i explain him what are the pros and cons of 26", and start looking for a new bike. My budget is really tight (about 1000 euros total) so my options are very limited.
The bikes i find good enough within that range is:
1. Commencal Meta AM HT 27.5 which is of course hardtail with all its pros and cons. Good, slack geometry, good enough fork travel and a frame that can accept 27.5, 27.5+ and 29"
2. Mongoose Supa Salvo Comp 27,5+ plus which has 120mm front and rear travel (68 HT angle)
3. Mongoose Salvo Comp 29" which has 100mm front and rear travel (69 HT angle)

I am ok to buy a descent frame with crap components and upgrade whenever i can, so im ok with Salvo's components to begin with.
I talked to some old friends who are still in the game and they told me to forget everything but the 29res, cause they are better for nearly everything i used to do with my Pitch even though they have short travel (100mm). Of course i see many 29res with with longer travel but not within my budget.

So now i'm kinda stuck. Should i keep my 26" and upgrade it, or should i sell it cause upgrading is a waste of money, should i buy a hardtail with good AM geometry and fairly good components, should i buy a 120mm (trail) travel bike with 27.5+ size wheels which are just a bit smaller that 29"? Or i loose 10mm of travel and buy a 29er with 100mm XC geometry and hope that the bigger wheels will rollover anything better than my good old Pitch.
Oh..please give some advice...thanks a lot!!

Comments

• any advice guys? i'm stuck!!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Pitch is a good bike. 26” wheels may be out of fashion but they still work perfectly well.
    With your budget I would be tempted to get the Pitch up to scratch - get the fork and shock serviced, check and replace any components that are worn out, and then ride it for a few months before considering a new bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • well, my friend is willing to buy my bike, after a ride we had yesterday...so that means that i will have to buy a new one :) Should i consider any bike from the above given the limited budget i have?
    I do everything, from rocky descents to xc and uphills, just whatever the mountain gives me, i don't fight with time, i 'm just having fun ( well, mostly at descents :) )
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As you are talking Euros, presumably not in the UK.

Links to the bikes help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yes, i'm talking euros.

These are the bikes, thanks for your interest :P :)

1. https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta- ... 2x26307396
    2. https://issuu.com/mongoosebikes/docs/m1 ... 604194dc9a ( its an online catalog, page 34-35, go fullscreen to be able to read the specs)
    3. http://www.mongoose.com/int/salvo-29-comp-21056