Rear mech puzzle

fullvic
fullvic Posts: 8
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Can an 11 speed rear mech work in a 10 speed groupset. All Shimano Ultegra.
Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    fullvic wrote:
    Thanks

Yes rear mechs are agnostic - they will respond to whatever the shifters tell them to do.
  • Not correct I'm afraid. Rear mech geo differs in some cases. For instance pre-2015 Campag 11 speed rear mech will not work with post-2015 11 speed shifters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited February 2019
    arlowood wrote:
    fullvic wrote:
    Thanks

Yes rear mechs are agnostic - they will respond to whatever the shifters tell them to do.

Alternatively, no, it won't work. Shimano changed the cable pull when they went to 11 speed (and 10 speed Tiagra)

So an 11 speed Ultegra rear mech will not work with Ultegra 10 speed shifters.

Arlowood's statement is still true for Shimano 8/9/10 speed road shifters and mechs (except 10 speed Tiagra)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    arlowood wrote:
    fullvic wrote:
    Thanks

That hasn't been true for a long time. They're not compatible.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    10 speed and 11 speed RD's and shifters form any brand don't mix due to differing cables pulls.

Shimano road 11 speed is cross compatible but not compatible with 11 speed MTB. Exception Di2. DI2 e tube will talk to di2 e tube.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks everyone for your advice, Ive had similar from local riding pals. So a new 105 ten speed mech it is to replace the Ultegra. Can't find a 10 speed Ultegra.
    Thanks again.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Apologies mate,out of stock,fingers engaging before brain!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a good RD-5701 GS that needs s home. New I think with some shop soiling
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.