Shoe size advice

drhaggis
drhaggis Posts: 1,150
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I recently purchased (locally) a pair of Bontrager Velocis shoes (like these, but blue). I'm however having second, third and even fourth thoughts about returning them though. The heel on size 43 was too tight on my right foot, so went for size 44 given the lack of half numbers. However, these feel slightly too large, perhaps a shade bigger than my current Shimano r065's, where I do have a little bit of play on the toe box.

Would you return them trying to get a proper fit? Or will a considerably stiffer sole lead to my foot fitting better? Am I being too obnoxious and paranoid about it? After all, the shimanos have served me well for the last 2.5 years. Knowing that 1/2 size smaller would suit me great just annoys me to no end.

Comments

• shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    I had exact same issue with Bontrager shoes, the 43 was tight, 44 bit loose, went for the 44's can tighten them up, but can't make a smaller size bigger. Also bear in mind that your feet will swell slightly due to heat when riding
  • drhaggis
    Thanks shiznit. Were you happy with the 44's, or did you resort to insoles? I reckon there's 1/2 size there if I needed extra arch support.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Hi,
    I was/am fine with the 44's, just do the boa dials up tight
  • drhaggis
    OK, went for the first "long" ride with the shoes last Saturday, and ended up with a new feeling: pain under the ball, where you pedal. It was cold and I didn't have overshoes, and since I suffer from Raynaud it could be it rather than the shoes. But if it happens on a ride with more than 10 degrees, I'll be concerned.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I had the same problem with Bontragers a few years ago, 43 too tight and 44 too big. I ended up with 44 Diadoras which are a perfect size on me.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    nowadays I always wear bigger shoes - not going 'tight' has cured a lot of numbness and cold feet issues for me. I don't race, nor am I particularly fast - so a slightly looser shoe has more pro's than cons for me ....YMMV.
  • I'm of the opinion that shoes are the one area where the brand is nothing, fit is everything. If the Shimano's have served you well, stick with them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes fit is what matters. Some brands will never suit you as they're not the same shape as your feet. The size may not help.

Once you've found a good brand I'd stay with them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shoes are just about the only thing I won't buy online. I'm so fussy about fit that I'd be forever returning the bloody things. I like to go to a shop and try on dozens of pairs till I find that Goldilocks pair, or walk out empty handed.

My most recent purchase was a pair of very basic Specialized road shoes. They don't look particularly flashy but they feel like slippers only stiffer.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Shoes are just about the only thing I won't buy online. I'm so fussy about fit that I'd be forever returning the bloody things. I like to go to a shop and try on dozens of pairs till I find that Goldilocks pair, or walk out empty handed.

My most recent purchase was a pair of very basic Specialized road shoes. They don't look particularly flashy but they feel like slippers only stiffer.
    Totally this. My best fitting pair is a cheap Louis Garneau one from Evans. I keep trying on various "name" brands and none of them ever quite have the feel the LG ones do. Sidi for example are utterly useless for me, they're way too narrow.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    This is my experience as well. It only makes sense that different companies would use different lasts and designs, you need one fitting to your hoof.

Regarding "can't make a smaller size bigger" - actually, natural leather shoes will stretch slightly with time and wear in for nice snug fit. Usually, those are not cheap, though
  • drhaggis
    The sad thing is, I bought my pair from a local shop, and it's now only after pedalling for > 10 miles, and while wearing winter socks, that I feel some discomfort. Got me completely by surprise.