Kona Minute and Deore M617 Chainset

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,592
edited January 2019 in Commuting chat
Ello all,

I changed the BB and crankset (like for like) on our trusty and hard working Kona Minute - recently upgraded with hydraulic brakes.
The BB went fairly suddenly last summer (And the cogs had been slipping), as I did not have much time, I just went like for like.

It struck me that the stock chainset (On that occasion I was lucky to get hold of) will likely not be available again, so I was wondering if the below would be a cheap, but high quality alternative.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-deore-m617-double-chainset-10-speed/#pid=37393

This is the key Kona details I guess:
Crankarms FSA Alpha Drive
Chainrings 36/26/Bashguard
B/B FSA Powerdrive

Hence I need a fairly small set of chainrings, and the M617 is 36\22, so a lower bottom gear, but then I could always latterly get a cassette with less small gears.

Any issue with the 10 spd chainrings versus 8 spd cassette at the back, ie the chain width I guess?

Additionally, I have no idea what the BB is about.........
Great value Deore 2-piece design chainset for 10-speed Dyna-Sys MTB HG-X transmissions

The 2-piece design chainset features an external bottom bracket system which is a lightweight rigid design that is incredibly strong and durable
Lightweight and rigid steel bottom bracket axle
SG-X Dyna-Sys plus chainrings with patented spike pin give smooth and fast gear shifts under load
Lightweight aluminium outer with steel inner chainrings
We recommend that the bottom bracket is initially installed by a bike shop to ensure perfect facing and fit (bottom bracket not included)

Is that some weird BB that wouldn't be compatible with the Kona's frame?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope it's a standard BB.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope it's a standard BB.

Ah cool - the Kona is a threaded old school type affair, so would I need a Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket do you happen to know?

I'll google of course, just asking on the offchance :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools