Best wheels under £500?

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited March 2019 in Road beginners
Can anyone recommend a good set of wheels for under £500? And also my bike has a Sora ,9 speed so do I have to get a particular wheel or is it universal?

Thanks all

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    No particular wheel, but you need it with a Shimano freehub to take your cassette.

PP
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Are these to go on your bike from Go Outdoors mentioned in your other thread? If so, I'd suggest you save your money. £500 wheels will not turn it into a superbike and would reslly be overkill for that bike.

Just ride your bike and enjoy it and maybe think about a new bike in a year or two if you're still keen.
  • Hi . I love Mavic Kysrium Elites as a great wheelset for under £500. I have a set which I’ve ridden for 4 years in all seasons, conditions and have not needed adjusting. They are really nicely made in my opinion. I had mine serviced recently
    Have a look on the Hargrove Cycles website- there is a brand new set for £349 !
    Just check as above that are Shimano Freehub.
    https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/mavic ... gLRpfD_BwE

Alternatively have a look on Evans Cycles at the tubeless version for £427
    https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-ksyri ... t-EV310514
    Some good reviews on this site from other customers.
    Hope helps!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    What sort of terrain?
    You can get fulcrum Quattro lg for under half of your budget and if it's flat or rolling then that's a very competent wheel and you'd be struggling to get much better for under £500.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    TBH you could have bought a far better bike using the £500 wheel budget along with the money you paid for the Go Outdoors bike.

I certainly wouldn't spend £500 on wheels for that bike, maybe half of that at best.
  • bongofish
    Hi all.

I was just thinking for an upgrade to aim for. Like maybe in 6 months when. Summer comes. I e heard and read alot about wheels being the biggest thing you can change. And losing 200-400g on the wheels can totally transform a bike.

It's just confused me as I've been looking and some wheels say 11speed. Or whatever. I was thinking about these if anyone knows anything?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing ... -wheelset/
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Dont waste your money, if you want to upgrade something change that awful tektro brakes. Get a proper bike, than you think to upgrade the wheels.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I would be tempted to keep the £500 an keep adding to it an get a new bike, not saying theres anything wrong with Sora 9 speed but for a couple hundred more you can pick up a half way decent bike.
    If your eyeing up wheels for weight saving your best off with a good base bike before you start doing that.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Carbonzone/Farsport.

Planet X or Selcof in the sale.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    You've done this all wrong, you bought a bike then had £150 to spend on it, now you're looking at spending £500 on wheels.

You've bought the wrong bike imo.
  • bongofish
    I like the bike . Just wanted something that was a reasonable price to start off with and over time upgrade bits. But to be honest I think your all right. I'm gunna use this bike for the next 6 months and maybe upgrade to a better bike. I honestly thought the bike I had was a good bike for a first road bike. It seems not alot of you think so?
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Bongofish wrote:
    And losing 200-400g on the wheels can totally transform a bike.
    Are you in a position where you could comfortably lose that much body weight? If so, focus there rather than the bike ;) You can probably do that for free too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The issue is buying a new bike probably does not mean great wheels either. If wheels are bought now they can be fitted to the new bike. the problem is if the OP has rim brake bike and then buys a disc brake bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    actually it not always the weight loss that can tranform a bike. I can build two 1700g wheelsets. One will feel quick the other would feel slow. Really it not the weight thats key.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • OP, to be honest I would just ride the bike you have for a year to see if you still have the cycling bug as time passes.

If you decide you don't want to carry on then your write off will not be that large. Conversely if you really decide cycling is for you then I can guarantee you will be looking at upgrading to a better bike long before the year is out, it just appears to be the way it goes.

Enjoy the bike.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Wheels are probably the best bang for buck upgrade for a bike. However, and this is not meant to be derogatory, I would agree with others that you should keep your bike as it is and just enjoy riding it as it is. It sounds like an entry level bike - nothing wrong with that at all - but just take some time to find out what you genuinely like and dont like about it rather than what you think might be the right upgrade path. If it is weight saving you are after then it is often easier to shed a few hundred grammes from yourself rather than the bike - again, not meant to sound personal, you might be a racing snake - but most of us can manage to lose a kilo or so quite readily, I know I usually can, especially just after winter. If the bug really bites you then treat yourself to a new bike when the time and funding is right, then you'll have a better idea of what spec you want your new bike to have. Keep the current bike as a winter/trainer. Enjoy.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"