The wind it's.......so annoying!

bongofish
bongofish Posts: 123
edited February 2019 in Road beginners
So loving the road bike and done 80 miles this week alone on it. Is it just me or is the wind a bigger factor than most other weather.? Yeh riding in rain isn't the funniest but you can still ride fine but the wind especially on roads next to open fields just blows me about to the point I'm leaning into it to try and neutralise it and then it stops for a second and I'm in middle of road .

Don't know about anyone else but it seems the worst weather to ride in for me.

Any advice or technique or just hold on ha

Comments

• Wait till to try it with 80mm deep section wheels.
  • You best get used to it, there are very few still days, or so it appears to me.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Plan your ride so you get a tailwind on the exposed parts and you ride into the wind on more sheltered roads.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    get used to it, an as said, deep sections are "great" fun. headwind I usually try an tuck in a bit reduce my frontal area, that being said the 40mph winds from the weekend meant that didnt help either.
  • Plan your ride so you get a tailwind on the exposed parts and you ride into the wind on more sheltered roads.

Tailwinds are mythical. Its headwinds all the way in my experience
  • This is where power meters can be good for motivation, you can find your time for a Strava segment was "dire" against the headwind, but you may have set a new power PB for the segment. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Top tip, structure your rides so you get the tailwind home. Anything else is just Brexit voting plain stupid.

Try and plan your route using natural shelter, hedges, the lee of any hills, woods which usually makes you explore lanes you wouldn't normally go down. Consider joining your local club as there is a wealth of knowledge you can access without the pain of self learning.

Relax your upper body as its your body which make the inputs into the steering. Wiggle your fingers, relax your shoulders and make sure your elbow are bent and relaxed which minimises any gusts from the side. Get it right and your body takes the hit from the wind and minimises the impact on the steering.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    The wind is your friend. It makes you stronger
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    Plan your ride so you get a tailwind on the exposed parts and you ride into the wind on more sheltered roads.

I think Ive only experienced a true tailwind a handful of times in all the years Ive been riding, sometimes it feels whichever way you turn when riding its into a headwind, hedges and fences just seem to funnel the wind in to you not deflect it from you.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Wind is beautiful.Head is beautiful, head wind is your friend. It really is. It hard work though but it just air moving about.

Tailwinds are can be beautiful. got a good kick a few time from tail wind on sunday but the head wind was spectacular. Of course this is only true if your not bonking. head wind and low blood sugar is horrid.

In a race head wind is glorious because that were you can make a move. with a tailwind everyone becomes quick and the bunch turn into a missile.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    awavey wrote:
    WeezySwiss wrote:

I think Ive only experienced a true tailwind a handful of times in all the years Ive been riding, sometimes it feels whichever way you turn when riding its into a headwind, hedges and fences just seem to funnel the wind in to you not deflect it from you.

I remember doing ToC a couple years back, was fine till we got out onto the fens, then every direction you turned was a headwind and zero protection, horrid really horrid.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I find tailwinds annoying in that you never notice them until you turn round to go home! :lol:

But, totally smashed Botany Bay to Whitstable early one evening after cycling into the wind all the way there. That and my company makes it one of my favourite rides ever.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I must admit I enjoy headwinds. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good tailwind too, but I don’t fear headwinds. It’s all just riding, which I love. Putting extra power down, getting more aero and working hard into a headwind I find very satisfying. Maybe it’s a cathartic thing - I know I’ve worked harder, put more effort in etc and get a greater sense of satisfaction from that.

As with all aspects of cycling, you need to embrace the aspects that you find harder and do more of them to improve.

PP
  • Since December i've never noticed any wind at all in my utility room on the turbo trainer.

Seriously you guys go out in Winter ? you must be mad :lol:
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Since December i've never noticed any wind at all in my utility room on the turbo trainer.

Seriously you guys go out in Winter ? you must be mad :lol:

For some of us, cycling is a social thing. Long may it remain so.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've been cycling 35 years or more. I can only remember one ride where we got a good strong Tailwind for any length of time. My riding buddies still talk about that day.

The headwinds - we don't talk about them.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We were in the New Forest the other week. Riding from Fritham to Linwood (over the top) was the strongest headwind I have ever ridden into.

No complaining though - I hit 60kph along Moot Lane into Downton!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I don't know which planet you guys live on... I have a tailwind most rides; albeit sometimes its brief, it's there. I cannot remember a single time were the wind hated me that much it did a 180 on me mid-ride.

First half of the ride into the wind, second half ride with wind behind you.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    djrikki wrote:
    I don't know which planet you guys live on... I have a tailwind most rides; albeit sometimes its brief, it's there. I cannot remember a single time were the wind hated me that much it did a 180 on me mid-ride.

Do you just ride in a straight line out and back? I think most of us do a loop so get the wind from most angles.

But the funnelling effect on roads always seems to put the wind in to my face.
  • Unless the wind is in the rear quarter i.e. 45 degrees either side of directly behind you then it is going to feel somewhat like a head wind. It's called apparent wind direction in sailing terms. On a windless day it will be headwind all day in all directions.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    djrikki wrote:
    I don't know which planet you guys live on... I have a tailwind most rides; albeit sometimes its brief, it's there. I cannot remember a single time were the wind hated me that much it did a 180 on me mid-ride.

Do you just ride in a straight line out and back? I think most of us do a loop so get the wind from most angles.

But the funnelling effect on roads always seems to put the wind in to my face.

Nope a circuit around in a loop most of the time.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    djrikki wrote:

Where do you live and what are house prices like ?
  • Lol Lincolnshire
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nick is the only person to live in that area who rides a bike.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Nick is the only person to live in that area who rides a bike.

List, liar, pants on fire! :evil:

You get some quality wind assistance or resistance around Old Winchester Hill plateau, plus up Harvesting Lane.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo