Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Bike Box - BBA or Scicon

dazz_ni45dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm on the look out for a bike box as I head away most years now and may as well invest in one rather than hiring.

I ride a 56cm frame and have narrowed it down to the bike box alan or the scicon aerotech evolution x.

Has anyone direct experience of both boxes or what would be the better buy? I'm swaying towards to the BBA but the review of the scicon are very good and especially now it down the same price as the bba.

Posts

  • sniper68sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I hire a BBA every year and TBH I should really buy one.Great bit of kit!
    This looks good:-
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 06-pakgo-x

    Pricey....but good!
  • gsk82gsk82 Posts: 2,921
    If you get the Scicon you'll wish you got Alan. I think you already know that.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dazz_ni45dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I hire a BBA every year and TBH I should really buy one.Great bit of kit!
    This looks good:-
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 06-pakgo-x

    Pricey....but good!

    That looks really good, price is that much more than the BBA and I like the integrated stand. Only question would be whether a 56 frame will fit comfortably.
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 2,068
    BBA owner here. I rented one for two years before the rental price went up significantly and the delivery and pick up were extra. This swayed me to go buy rather than rent.

    It will fit a 56cm frame easily, actually much bigger - my mate rides a 58cm Trek and has just used my box for a Scicily trip with no problems. The only issue is a frame with an integrated seat mast as opposed to a seat post.

    Positives;
    1. VERY robust. Never been damaged, bike always perfect inside. This gives great confidence when travelling.
    2. Everything packs in securely, with plenty of space around and between components to pad them out with carrier bags full of clothing and other kit. Helmet fits in nicely too, as do shoes.
    3. Anti-crush pole included which will go some way to prevent the box being crushed (within reason).
    4. Not too big - will fit in most small hatchback cars with the rear seats down - fits in my sons Corsa comfortably.

    Negatives;
    1. Some would say expensive, and sure it’s not pocket money, but when you compare with rental of a box or rental of a bike abroad it doesn’t take many trips to have paid for itself.
    2. It can be a bit unwieldy to steer. It has fixed wheels on one end and casters on the other. The problem for me is the casters are on the ‘low end’ with no real hand grip which means you end up bending down/ reaching to hold it as you pull it. If you have a roller bag in your other hand this is a bit of a pita.
    3. It is a faff to load it, it’s not hard but it takes time. This however is going to be true for just about every box. I don’t really mind because it is only a few trips a year.
    4. I bought mine about 5 years ago and now have disc brake bikes. The box was not specifically designed for disc braked bikes so I have to dismantle even further (one brake disc has to be removed) otherwise it would foul/ get damaged. Not sure if they have updated their design for a disc specific model now or not...

    Hope this helps

    PP
  • I've got the scicon aeromfort triathlon. Take the wheels off and mount the bike on the frame and you're good to go with no bolts loosened or handlebars moved. Easy to wheel around and room to shove in loads of kit as well. Really quick to set back up on arrival.

    The only issue I had was with wheel bearings break and Scicon sent me new wheels though they have upgraded these on the Version 3 bag.

    Never had or used a BBA though the only issue I have seen with them is people trying to get them into taxi's in other countries due to the size and rigidity.
  • dazz_ni45dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    BBA owner here. I rented one for two years before the rental price went up significantly and the delivery and pick up were extra. This swayed me to go buy rather than rent.

    It will fit a 56cm frame easily, actually much bigger - my mate rides a 58cm Trek and has just used my box for a Scicily trip with no problems. The only issue is a frame with an integrated seat mast as opposed to a seat post.

    Positives;
    1. VERY robust. Never been damaged, bike always perfect inside. This gives great confidence when travelling.
    2. Everything packs in securely, with plenty of space around and between components to pad them out with carrier bags full of clothing and other kit. Helmet fits in nicely too, as do shoes.
    3. Anti-crush pole included which will go some way to prevent the box being crushed (within reason).
    4. Not too big - will fit in most small hatchback cars with the rear seats down - fits in my sons Corsa comfortably.

    Negatives;
    1. Some would say expensive, and sure it’s not pocket money, but when you compare with rental of a box or rental of a bike abroad it doesn’t take many trips to have paid for itself.
    2. It can be a bit unwieldy to steer. It has fixed wheels on one end and casters on the other. The problem for me is the casters are on the ‘low end’ with no real hand grip which means you end up bending down/ reaching to hold it as you pull it. If you have a roller bag in your other hand this is a bit of a pita.
    3. It is a faff to load it, it’s not hard but it takes time. This however is going to be true for just about every box. I don’t really mind because it is only a few trips a year.
    4. I bought mine about 5 years ago and now have disc brake bikes. The box was not specifically designed for disc braked bikes so I have to dismantle even further (one brake disc has to be removed) otherwise it would foul/ get damaged. Not sure if they have updated their design for a disc specific model now or not...

    Hope this helps

    PP

    Thanks very much Pete for the detailed review. Much appreciated.
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I hire a BBA every year and TBH I should really buy one.Great bit of kit!
    This looks good:-
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 06-pakgo-x

    Pricey....but good!

    That looks really good, price is that much more than the BBA and I like the integrated stand. Only question would be whether a 56 frame will fit comfortably.
    I won one of those Topeak boxes in a GCN competition, it's a great bit of kit.

    However, I don't really have any use for it, so would be happy to to sell... make me an offer if you want it!
  • dazz_ni45dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I hire a BBA every year and TBH I should really buy one.Great bit of kit!
    This looks good:-
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 06-pakgo-x

    Pricey....but good!

    That looks really good, price is that much more than the BBA and I like the integrated stand. Only question would be whether a 56 frame will fit comfortably.
    I won one of those Topeak boxes in a GCN competition, it's a great bit of kit.

    However, I don't really have any use for it, so would be happy to to sell... make me an offer if you want it!

    PM sent
  • gsk82gsk82 Posts: 2,921
    lochindaal wrote:
    I've got the scicon aeromfort triathlon. Take the wheels off and mount the bike on the frame and you're good to go with no bolts loosened or handlebars moved. Easy to wheel around and room to shove in loads of kit as well. Really quick to set back up on arrival.

    The only issue I had was with wheel bearings break and Scicon sent me new wheels though they have upgraded these on the Version 3 bag.

    Never had or used a BBA though the only issue I have seen with them is people trying to get them into taxi's in other countries due to the size and rigidity.

    The problem with those is that your bars have no protection.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • stueysstueys Posts: 1,332
    BBA, I’ve had one for around 4 years now and it just works. It’s a relatively compact size, provides complete protection to the bike and has enough space that you can load all your bike kit around your bike and just run with the box and a small cabin bag. Well worth it
  • FatTedFatTed Posts: 1,205
    Buxum Tourmalet
  • dazz_ni45dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I hire a BBA every year and TBH I should really buy one.Great bit of kit!
    This looks good:-
    https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 06-pakgo-x

    Pricey....but good!

    That looks really good, price is that much more than the BBA and I like the integrated stand. Only question would be whether a 56 frame will fit comfortably.
    I won one of those Topeak boxes in a GCN competition, it's a great bit of kit.

    However, I don't really have any use for it, so would be happy to to sell... make me an offer if you want it!

    Just checking if you got my pm?
  • Yeah, thought I'd sent a reply...
  • I've got a BBA and love it - used it a couple of times.

    Gives you could practice in stripping and putting your bike back...........so if you do go for one - make sure you mark all your gear so that you can put it back together in the same place!
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 2,068
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    I've got a BBA and love it - used it a couple of times.

    Gives you could practice in stripping and putting your bike back...........so if you do go for one - make sure you mark all your gear so that you can put it back together in the same place!

    Err, confused? What do you need to mark to put your bike back together? I can’t think of any part that that needs removing to put in a BBA that could go back wrong!

    PP
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,532
    If you dont mark it, you might put the front wheel on the back and vice versa, or mount the handlebars on the seat post I suppose...!
  • pilot_petepilot_pete Posts: 2,068
    Ah, I see, silly me! :lol:

    PP
  • gsk82gsk82 Posts: 2,921
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    I've got a BBA and love it - used it a couple of times.

    Gives you could practice in stripping and putting your bike back...........so if you do go for one - make sure you mark all your gear so that you can put it back together in the same place!

    Err, confused? What do you need to mark to put your bike back together? I can’t think of any part that that needs removing to put in a BBA that could go back wrong!

    PP

    Bit of tape around the seat post is a great help
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
Sign In or Register to comment.