Car Culture hypocrisies

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited February 2019 in Commuting chat
Nice thread doing the round on Twitter

Driving to work is fine but doing the same on a bike is just recreation.

Drivers killing dozens of pedestrians each years is down to pedestrian inattention but that singular cyclist maiming a pedestrian is pure evil.

A car built to insulate a driver from all external noise and pollution is luxurious but a cyclist wearing headphones is just irresponsible.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    JGSI wrote:
    A car built to insulate a driver from all external noise and pollution is luxurious but a cyclist wearing headphones is just irresponsible
    I actually don't agree with this. Wearing headphones (and listening to something moderately loud) whilst cycling removes an important element of situational awareness. I can generally tell whether there's something behind me (motor vehicle or drafting fairy) between shoulder checks because I can hear it. When driving, I know exactly what's going on behind me because I'm scanning my mirrors more or less continuously, so I don't have the same reliance on being able to hear it.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Twitter is full of random sh1t. Who cares...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

FTFY
  • I can get abuse for slowing down a car, when it is about to join a queue of other cars, none of whose occupants get shouted at. While I keep moving.
  • jgsi
    cooldad wrote:
    Twitter is full of random sh1t. Who cares...

and so is Bike Radar forum , but you keep reading...............................
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I didn't say don't read, I said don't care.

I know it's hard, but do try and keep up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jgsi
    cooldad wrote:
    I didn't say don't read, I said don't care.

I know it's hard, but do try and keep up.

With your 32000 postings, maybe read more and be less condescending.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I can get abuse for slowing down a car, when it is about to join a queue of other cars, none of whose occupants get shouted at. While I keep moving.

This one does make me laugh, aggressive rev up, 'punishment' pass to brake behind next car 30 metres away.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I'm sure there are some equivalents out there for bike culture :wink:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    meursault wrote:
    I can get abuse for slowing down a car, when it is about to join a queue of other cars, none of whose occupants get shouted at. While I keep moving.

This one does make me laugh, aggressive rev up, 'punishment' pass to brake behind next car 30 metres away.

It’s particularly fun at this time of the year.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TGOTB wrote:
    Wearing headphones (and listening to something moderately loud) whilst cycling removes an important element of situational awareness. I can generally tell whether there's something behind me (motor vehicle or drafting fairy) between shoulder checks because I can hear it.
    So deaf people shouldn't ride bikes? I know it's not what you said, but it's what you strongly imply.

For the record I don't wear headphones for the reasons you give, but it's personal choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The Rookie wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Wearing headphones (and listening to something moderately loud) whilst cycling removes an important element of situational awareness. I can generally tell whether there's something behind me (motor vehicle or drafting fairy) between shoulder checks because I can hear it.
    So deaf people shouldn't ride bikes? I know it's not what you said, but it's what you strongly imply.

For the record I don't wear headphones for the reasons you give, but it's personal choice.
    That's not what I'm implying at all, but riders with severely impaired hearing would be well advised to investigate other methods of maintaining situational awareness. If it was me, I'd start by investigating mirrors (though the ones that look like dentists' mirrors mounted to a helmet always look like they'd poke your eye out in a crash...)

Your argument is a bit like saying pedestrians shouldn't have to look where they're going because blind people manage without...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The Rookie wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Deaf people won't be distracted by loud music. Deaf people will be aware they can't hear things and know to compensate with their other senses.

People with normal hearing may well be unaware how much they use their hearing for situational awareness and therefore not compensate properly when taking that sense away.
  • Although not entirely deaf I do have poor hearing (age related) and wear hearing aids. It is not practical to wear them when riding, wind noise is intolerable. However I have awareness of traffic behind from road noise from the tyres. This is at low level and resonates with me. Happily, low profile tyres affected by 'performance' cars are very noisy. HGV's signal their presence with vibration of the road surface.
    In summary, although I would prefer to have normal hearing I am not deterred by my deafness. Cold, wind, rain, snow & ice however are different :-(
    'fool'